Saturday, June 3, 2017

Day 8 Ramadan 2017



Ramadan Kareem,


The natural word has been decorated for Ramadan as well.  These trees are so fiery red and brilliantly orange that I had to take a few pictures of it last Wednesday.  I kept snapping from different angles, trying to capture the moment of awe I was experiencing.  I couldn't quite get the bright light, the blue sky, the green leaves and the colorful blossoms.  It was too much.  Subhanallah!  

It's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.

from the film "American Beauty"


After a blessed breeze in the night, many of those blossoms had fallen to the ground by the next day.  Alhumdulillah, that I had taken time to enjoy their beauty.  

That's our time as well.   We are still gloriously alive and vibrant, able to be a part of the awesomeness, yet we should never lose sight of the time when the wind will blow.  How will you be YOU today?

Last night, after I had posted about Day 7, my husband came home from the mosque and told me that there had been a fight.  While he was inside the mosque praying taraweah, young dudes trying to prove their strength brought their knives and guns (probably just starter pistols) to the street.  My husband kept praying, as did all the older, wiser men inside.  Their faith was not going to be shaken by the sound of fitnah, a trial of disorder.

Good lesson!  There are so many arguments and upsets we have been invited to attend.  We don't have to accept them---especially in Ramadan.  We have better things to do.

I guarantee you that if those young men had entered the mosque, my husband would have been among the first to repel them back.  It's not that he didn't know their actions were wrong (they were).  It's that he didn't need to go out of his way, or away from his path of righteous, to correct them.

SOHOUR

2:40

Foul medamnes made a return appearance at our table.  We also had some of these wonderful peaches over plain yogurt with bran cereal, and muesli.  It's important to not add sugar during suhour.  You will only get thirsty later on.  At the end of the day, it's the thirst which is harder than hunger.



FAJR

3:10

El Kid went back to sleep afterwards, but I stayed up to read Quran.

QURAN

I am still studying Quran by reading the translation and transliteration (the Arabic into phonetic English) along with the audio on a free app from Quran Reading.   

I finished going through Surah Imran much quicker than Baqqarah, alhumdulillah.  One of the things I found interesting is that the reciter is VERY QUICK with these particular ayahs, or verses.  I have to really speed up my reading to match his speed.  I had no idea that different surahs really are done at different rates of speed.  

This way of studying Quran has me more connected to the feeling of Quran.  There is a richness of emotion I was missing out on when I only read it and understood it, but didn't hear it.  Likewise, I lost out when I heard it spoken, but didn't know what it meant.

11:00

Time for shopping.  We started Ramadan without food in the cupboard which was CRAZY.  This is the first year we didn't stock up as if a storm were brewing and we'd be cooped up for a few weeks.  We've gotten the fresh food from local sellers, but today we had to brave it to the supermarket.  El Kid wisely stayed home (and we wished we could).  We caught a micro bus there and I was fine with the shopping since it wasn't crowded quite yet.  

I thought of my grandma who had to make a final shopping trip in the fall before the snows made travel from the island to the mainland impossible.  My grandfather's job was as the last lighthouse keeper and her job was to keep the family going.  She once told me that if she forgot anything on her list, they would have to do without until Spring.  While I could still make the effort to pop over to the supermarket, I imagined how I needed to rekindle that pioneer spirit and either grab it now or do without.

Looking at the full cart, I realized that we had to get every bag across two busy streets and into a tuk-tuk.  Carrying heavy grocery bags is hard normally, but moving quickly and judging whether or not to dodge cars was really hard if not potentially deadly.

I really thought of how many bad decisions get made because people didn't sleep well or eat well.  No one can be at their full mental abilities when their bodies aren't fully functioning.  Having a mind filled with ideas is a luxury.  Being able to put those thoughts into action is a miracle.  

There was the nicest tuk-tuk driver waiting for us on the other side of the street.  We always go with the older men who have the job as a profession and not a game.  He sped us along the streets and we sat with our four bags.  The breeze created by the motion was much welcomed.

DUHR

I prayed and then took a nap.  

ASR

I woke for asr, watched a home fixer-upper show called, "Double Your House for Less" and then it was time for magrib.

MAGRIB

El Kid and I prayed alone tonight because the chef had just woken up.  I figured that we needed to stay out of the way of his crab claws.  No, we weren't having crab for dinner---he was the crab.  We actually had beef and rice with potatoes.  

The guys don't care if there's vegetables or not (until their stomachs hurt).  I care A LOT, so I made a tomato and cucumber salad in yogurt, mint and thyme.  I also cooked some green beans.  

For dessert, we ate some store bought treats for the first time this season.  They weren't as good as I had fantasized.  Doesn't mean I didn't eat them!  I did.  I was very smart to space out the time between eating dinner and eating the sweets.  I didn't want another carb-induced comatose state---I hate that!

ISHA

Time for the prayer and bed!  School again tomorrow and a final for El Kid.  Studying science wasn't easy---and it's only going to get harder with the dreaded math after that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Assalaamu Aleykum.
Ramadan Kareem.
Day 8 Ramadan 2017, nice to read..A must read for Those who live simple and fast.I felt like experiencing Ramadan 8--> 2017 myself in Egypt by sitting somewhere in the world.

Jazakallah.

MAK