Sunday, June 18, 2017

Day 23 Ramdan 2017



Ramadan Kareem,


Giza's Famous Leaning Towers of Kahk El Eid


SUHOUR

2:40

Beans.

We are so sick of eating foul medamnes at this point that I think it's GOT TO be something different tomorrow morning inshallah.  Remember how the Israelites complained to Prophet Moses/Musa (pbuh) about needing more variety in their diet?  We are all a bit like that.

We also had the yogurt smoothie.  When I'm done with the yogurt container, I'm now filling it with water and putting it outside our door for the mama cat that is nursing her kittens on our roof.  I saw her the other day meowing very politely outside our door until she got what she needed.  El Kid wants to have one of the kittens as a pet, but I'm REALLY allergic, so the answer is "no".

FAJR

3:07

After fajr, I went back to sleep.  I had woken up VERY tired even though I had gone to bed at 10:30.  Not sure how I could be so tired from having enough sleep!  I slept again until 9:00.

We had talked about going shopping because we're so low on food, but we delayed it with a "Should we?"  and "Shouldn't we?"  It reminds me of the Midwest when it's too cold outside and you don't want to go out.  El Kid and I were absolutely loopy and laughing, but my hub wasn't in such a coo-coo-achoo mood.

DHUR

11:16

After praying, we decided that we would go.  Usually, we walk a ways and then get a tuk tuk.  Today, we took a bus there without much thought of added time exercising in the sun.  The store wasn't too crowded, which is a blessing.  Crowded stores in Egypt suck more than in the U.S. because each individual seems to be more unaware of their behavior's effect on others.  We hardly had a full cart, yet spent more than we used to spend on TWO full carts---that's what a bad economy does!

Alhumdulillah, we made it across the streets safely and caught a tuk-tuk home.  The tuk-tuk ride was a little iffy and I had thought it might be because the driver was so young.  The young drivers all think they're playing a video game with our lives.

All these split second decisions

go or not
buy or not
run across the street now or stay
take this tuk-tuk or wait

have to be made without having full mental ability.  It makes me think of how those suffering from undernourishment cannot be expected to make good choices.

After we got home and put the food away, I had to lay down.


QURAN

I had listened/read some of  An'am in the morning with El Kid.  Laying down after the grocery run, I listened/read it again until I got too tired.

I slept and woke up around 4:30 and prayed asr.

It was time to start making the pasta sauce.  My hub was going to make the meatballs I had asked for last week.  It's not that an Egyptian husband doesn't give you what you ask for----but he does give it to you on HIS terms!  Together we made dinner and that kitchen was HOT.




MAGRIB

6:53

A date and a gulp of water before the prayer.

IFTAR

We had baked penne with eggplant in tomato sauce .  I should have put on more mozarella, but my hub kept telling me "BAS!"  meaning enough.  His meatballs were really good.

I had told him that I REALLY wanted guava and milk as our iftar drink.  He kept telling me "no" for him, but in the end chugged down two glasses.  I love being right.  Alhumdulillah.

One of the tricks is that I had frozen three guava juice boxes



and plunked their contents into the pitcher of milk and guava juice to really chill the whole thing without diluting it.

For dessert, we had the last three bowls of malabiya with a stroop waffle on the side.

So far, no power outage.









No comments: