Saturday, May 6, 2017

One Ringy Dingy



Asalamu Alaykom,




This personal narrative comes to you courtesy of Ms. Yosra, English teacher, because I felt my students needed a better example than the ones given in their writing book.  The voice I use for it is a bit different than the one I normally use on the blog.  Also, there were some elements I had to use:  dialogue, personification, simile, and metaphor.  Find those for extra credit.



During my Spring break travel plans for Luxor, I had pictured many amazing moments.  My husband, my son, and I would sail serenely down the famous Nile.
 




Next, we would bravely explore the ancient tombs in Valley of the Kings.





If we were still having enough energy, I was hoping to go north to the mystical temple of Hathor in the small city of Qena.





I imagined all that from my desk chair, but what I couldn't possibly have guessed is that the most memorable moment of our trip was playing hide-and-go-seek with my wedding ring.

It seems crazy to think that I would lose my silver band anywhere because I'm never without it.  yet, if I explain the situation, maybe it will make more sense.  The long trip down had been on the overnight train.  It always seems like a clever idea since for sure we can simply sleep the night away.  However, we never really do rest, and we arrive tired and eager to stretch our tired muscles.  Once the horse-drawn carriage dropped us off at the hotel, it made total sense to go for a quick swim.  That was when everything went wrong.

"Aren't you coming with us?"  I asked my husband who looked like he was ready for a snooze not a swim.

"Where are you going?"  he mumbled with his head on the pillow and his eyes closed.

"The pool!  I told you that we're going for a swim.  It'll feel good, " I tried to convince him.  He replied with some kind of garbled speech, so my son and I headed out just the two of us to the cool of the pool.

Everything was going swimmingly, as they say, until we were done with the swim and back in the hotel room.  While getting ready to go out sightseeing, I suddenly realized that my wedding ring was missing.  I tried to remain calm because my husband would not be very understanding if I couldn't find his gift of unending love.  What would I do if I had actually lost that ring?  The issue wasn't how much money it had cost; we had money to buy another.  It was the sentimental feelings attached to it.  I felt awful.

My attempts at searching  quietly had failed because my husband was waking up.  He knew that something was wrong.  Now, I was really worried.  This was a our first day of the whole trip.  Not just that---it was the first hour!  Had I ruined the whole trip by some stupid forgetfulness?  I was as scared as if I'd lost my own child instead of my ring.  Even though the ring was not there, my husband was, and I had to confess what had happened.  What would he do?

The funny thing is that my hot-blooded Egyptian was understanding.  He reminded me that he himself had lost his wedding ring inside the Movenpick pool in Aswan.  He only chastised me a little for forgetting to take it off before the swim and reasoned that it must be in the pool.  He had been able to get his ring back, so he hoped I would be able to also.

I could have sworn that I had taken it off before swimming, but it wasn't in any of the compartments inside my jewelry bag.  There were the hijab pins, but not ring.  My husband went out to ask the pool maintenance man to look for it.  Our trip was going to be OK, even if the ring was still lost.

After many prayers to  Al-Wajid, The Finder, that I would be reunited with the ring, there it was in my hand again!  A whole day had passed without knowing where it was, when I removed a couple of pins that I had stuck into my jewelry bag.  Subhanallah!





It had been wedged tightly between the two pins and undetectable.  My wedding ring had been there all the time; it had never gone into the pool.  I really had remembered to take it off, which pleased my husband since now he knew I had cared.  All of us were relieved for a happy ending to that story and the chance for us to enjoy an additional three days of a worry-free trip to Luxor.

No comments: