Saturday, May 6, 2017

How's Your Ear?



Asalamu Alaykom,




Since I can't show you a picture of my own ear, I'm letting Hathor be my ear stand-in.  Her right ear, normally the shape of a cow's, is missing, which I find oddly appropriate.  My own right ear had been out of commission since February.

However, I do feel that significant improvement has been made since yesterday.  Alhumdulillah.  I always felt that during the spoken prayers there was a reaction deep in my ear canal, as if the sound waves were activating my Eustachian tube.  I talk A LOT as a teacher, but this tonality of prayer had a different resonance in my head.  For months, I have felt that if a change were going to occur, it would happen during prayer.   Yesterday, it did.  

I won't say that I am 100% and back to the way I was, but there is a clearing out of the blockage and inshahallah this will continue.  Taking allergy medicine has helped and staying free from colds has been instrumental.  Colds!  They seem like a minor inconvenience until you suffer through the after effects like this.  

Thank you for all who have been hoping that I would feel better.  Alhumdulillah, I do and inshahallah I will keep improving.

What has this taught me?  

  • My body is more fragile than I'd like to admit.  
  • I am needing to take care of the small problems so they don't grow into larger problems.
  • All of us with hearing are blessed beyond belief.
  • Those without hearing have some serious patience to live in a world without one of their senses.  


No comments: