Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Day 4 Ramadan 2017



Ramadan Kareem




This commercial is one of the better uplifting odes to Ramadan in Egypt.  It features comedic actor Mohammed Hennedy, who is looking much older than I would like to admit.  One thing about TV in Ramadan is that the stars come out and remind you that time is moving on quicker than you realize.

There are all these HAPPY HAPPY commercials and then super sad ones for hospitals and cancer wards.  El Kid noticed the pattern and commented on it.  "I'm having mood swings from watching this!"

Here's how the day started:

SUHOUR

I made omelets, but they took forever and we ended up with only fifteen minutes to eat.  OOPS!

FAJR

After praying, I went back to bed and read Quran before catching more sleep.

QURAN

I am still in Baqarah, which is always depressing---not the words themselves, but the fact that it takes me so long to get through it.  I wonder how many people give up when they are stuck in the second surah.  There's got to be something to that.  Why put the longest surah immediately?

The Quran Reading app has taken some getting used to.  It shuts off unless you are touching the screen, so it's like a deadman's switch.  That gets a little annoying.  I've been utilizing the bookmark ability, which I paid extra to get with the full options.  The bookmark is what I touch when I really like a particular ayah or section, and I touch it before I close the app to find my spot again.

6:45

Up again at 6:00 and out the door.  At work, we are in one of the busiest times of revision and final corrections before finals.  I spend all my time at school getting it all done---and can't since it's only six hours.  Thank God for that shortened schedule, so I can come home and sleep a couple of hours.  

The kids at school are complaining A LOT.  They are hot, they are tired, and they are thirsty.  It's like a running gag.  By day four, I really don't want to hear it any more.  These kids are in air-conditioning whereas most of Egyptians don't have that luxury.  They are having shortened days, and in America, for instance, the schools don't make ANY provisions for fasting students.  They might have to do without water for a short time---a temporary problem---however, there are many, many children all around the world who don't have drinkable water ever.

"When we feel like complaining," I told them, "we need to remember those who aren't just doing without for a short time, but who really suffer their whole lives.  Then, we say, 'alhumdulillah' for our lives, and make du'a for those in need.  Maybe we even give some charity to them to help them improve their situation."

2:30

When I came home today, my husband, who likes to think of himself as a chef, was taking his nap and dinner was left to me.  It really is a survival moment.  I don't want to cook after work.  I just don't.  I wanted to sleep, yet if I slept, while he slept, there might not be any decent food on the table.  A lot of Ramadan is being in survival mode.  The papers I brought home to correct would have to wait.  Can't complain; don't have time for the pain.

We had three kofta left over from my meal and it worked for each of us to have one.  With an Egyptian husband, it's hard to get him to back down from so much meat at Ramadan.  The increase in prices helps us cut back.  It's sunnah, by the way, not to eat so much meat so that, as the saying of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) tells us, "We should not make our stomachs a graveyard for the animals."

I made a curried rice by cutting up an onion and frying it up with butter, curry powder, and salt.  I then added the washed rice and let it cook before adding boiling water.

IFTAR

6:50

Everyone liked the rice and no one complained about the small amount of kamel kofta.  No one except me liked the green beans with mushroom soup on the side---reminded me of Midwestern casseroles.  We also had salad, so I'd done what I could.

After iftar, I ate a Twinkie, which I never do, but my husband had bought some.  I really got tired immediately, and fell into a sudden sleep.  It was a good reminder for me not to eat sweets.





No comments: