Time to stop lying and get real.
- First of all, that's not a real lemon. It's plastic. It's never grown on a tree. It's going to become part of a landfill for many years. It's not cute; it's not harmless. There's a better alternative and it's from nature; from Allah. Many things in life seem benign but are actually caustic.
- No one sees you running all that water in the bathroom but it's happening. There's no way everyone in your town could do that and still have enough clean drinking water. So many people around the world die from unclean water that we should be grateful for what we have and conserve it. Do you know that Rasullulah (pbuh) made ghusl; the ritual cleansing after intercourse with only three cups of water?
- Believing that animals wear clothes and have families that sit around the dinner table to discuss their problems is weird. That's the Disney-fication of the animal kingdom and it prevents us from seeing our role as their caretakers. Yes, we are responsible for the animals. If we choose to eat them, then we need to start realizing how they are bred, housed, and slaughtered. We need to find humane ways to eat our meat; we need to eat halal.
- Our children are little sponges. They are not funny when they're off schedule, sleep-deprived, and whinny. No one likes our kids when we haven't put effort into them. Have some boundaries and some authority over your children because you'll have to live with them for the rest of your life. Our children are blessings or burdens by how we nurture them.
- Friendships with the opposite sex are dangerous. We shouldn't delve into dangerous territory. Step back, disentangle and be alone rather than be in trouble. Abu Bakr (ra) said, "Solitude is better than the society of evil persons."
- Masturbation is unhealthy. Yep. It is. It's you and your hand instead of you and a partner. If you can't feel a sense of peace and calm about what you're doing in private, then you shouldn't be doing it at all.
- Hating groups of people is wrong. I don't care how easy it is to lump everyone together. We aren't even allowed to kill all the ants in an anthill for the bite from one ant. We are supposed to only dispose of the one who hurt us and leave the rest alone. What does that tell you about how to treat people? We have to deal with individuals case-by-case and not as members of a group. See how much love Allah has for each individual creation?
I'll stop there.
For sure, there's a LOT more.
Don't get mad at me, please. I'm not telling you my personal orders. These are not "Edicts from Yosra"! I'm reminding you of the ways of Islam.
I saw a Ramadan program out of Kuwait where the doctor described the left and right hemispheres of our brain. He said that the left hemisphere is for dogma and the right hemisphere is for spirituality. It has become a dirty word to say, "religion" and oh-so-hip to say, "spirituality". The truth is that we need BOTH.
You can't only spend time letting your spirit rise up to meet The Almighty. You need to spend some time getting a firm foundation on what is true, noble, right, pure...
lovely, admirable, excellent, praiseworthy...
OK, it's a Bible quote. It's still groovy. Universal truth is all good no matter the source; it all come from The Source.
So, get real with what's real and let go of the stupid stuff because it's weighing you down and filling you up with garbage. If you're not sure if what you're doing is right or wrong, research your doubts and gain some Islamic knowledge. Use these days that you've been pulling away from dunya to find firmer footing for your self on the right path. You can do it inshahallah.
Love and Light!