Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Modest Mobiles


Asalamu Alaykom,



Whenever possible, I use pictures of covered Muslim women to illustrate my points.  I have a couple of reasons for this.


First, I want to promote the idea of modesty as an ideal.


Secondly, many of my readers are Muslim women who want and even need to see themselves in the illustrations.  Now, the women in these pictures might actually be Muslim----for real!  I have no idea.  They simply don't look Muslim because they are not covered.



In addition, I also attempt to balance out the pictures I post so that not everyone is white and blond.  


Have you figured out what the common denominator is with these photos?  They are all of women on cell phones; mobiles.  They're all out in public and taking a call.  Covered Muslim women do that too, of course, but I can't find a photo to prove that (so just take my word).

What I find interesting is how a woman's face changes when she takes the call.  I see it on the streets here in Egypt.  No matter how composed her features were before, they suddenly shift so she becomes an open book.  You see the beautiful smile and the glint in her eyes.  If you're close enough you'll hear her smooth voice as she talks to someone she cares about.  She becomes very attractive and even desirable.

Here's the problem:  there's got to be a difference between the public and the private.  We women should not allow every person on the street to see our most open selves.  We are warned to cover ourselves when we go out.  Even if you aren't a hijabi, you still wear more when you go out than when you're in your bedroom.  We protect our tenderness.  We shield our softness from those who are coarse and rough.

Yet, when we hear a ring, we drop our guard and grab the phone.  The caller can't see our smile but everyone else can.  They don't deserve it!  It's not a good idea to flash these private looks to the public masses.

Why?  Because those moments someone is calling you actually calls attention to you.  We don't want to be showing our bedroom face at the bus stop.  We don't want to be flirting with our honey and unaware that a male passerby got interested in us as well.  No matter what we put on our heads, if we put that phone up to our ear and start forgetting our modesty then it's a fitnah.

Let's limit our talk time to PUBLIC talk and not private talk while we are around others.  Remember to keep your face from flashing love, lust and excitement.  Stay composed.  Hide your conversation from the masses.  Make it so private that someone glancing over at you couldn't tell if it's your elderly aunt or your fiance on the phone.

Yes, there's a thrill to an incoming call but when you get that thrill----CHILL!




4 comments:

Assm Khan said...

Yes, we shouldn't make our smile so cheap that everyone can enjoy it... :)

Stay Blessed
Visit my blog--> A Happier Life

Zari said...

Assalamualaikum wa rehmatullahi wa barakatuhu,

Why a wonderful reminder! I'm a big fan of your blog and your writing, may Allah ta'ala bless you with His choicest blessings, ameen

UmmTimo said...

Fantastic reminder. If I did not wear niqab I would be so guilty of this. Jazak Allah Khair.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Assm,

LOVE your quote! "We shouldn't make our smile so cheap that everyone can enjoy it" Did you make that up? It's very good :)

I will have to visit your blog soon and see what other smart things you have to say.

Love and Light!

Wa Alaykom Asalam Zari,

I'm so glad you liked it. Really, we know these things in our core of truth but society pushes us to forget. Alhumdulillah we can, as sisters of faith, gently remind and keep on the straight path.

Love and Light!

Asalamu Alaykom UmmTimo,

Thanks! Alhumdulillah you liked it. LOL at another reason to wear niqab. I never thought of that one but it's a point. Some women are very smiley. I was certainly more open with strangers (including men)before coming to Egypt. I've learned to stay poker faced in the streets and only really open up at school and at home.

Love and Light to YOU!