Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fasting Does a World of Good


Asalamu Alaykom,





I fasted yesterday for hajj and it changed a lot.

Not on the outside.

On the outside all the problems still exist.

What changed is how I can view those problems.

I can see the day ahead of me as mine.  My life is not a chew toy clenched in the sharp teeth of a playful dog.  My life is something that was given to me by God and it's mine.  Those who have been in my life and hurt me can't be my focus.  I have to focus on the small tasks I can tackle which move me forward---even if by an inch.

I cannot stand still and wish for a better life if I do not move closer to God.  And THAT is forward.  Moving forward is not moving closer to a job, or money or posessions.  It's got to be me improving my relationship with Allah.

Inshahallah.

3 comments:

Marie Vie said...

I totally agree, only by getting closer to God we can overcome fears and doubts, move forward dear.
Glad to see you are feeling better.

Your words help me a lot too, always.

Stay blessed. Much love

Gori and Khan said...

Salam! It's been a while since I fasted. I am inspired by your short post! I've recently received some helpful advice... a trusted friend told me once to just "do the next right thing". I've been *chewing* on that ever since she said it. Here's to the next right thing - because that's not too busy to tackle! Blessings to you Yosra!

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Marie,

Nice to hear from you that this is where you're at too.

Wa Alaykom Asalam G&K,

I'm glad that this could be inspiring and maybe even in-spirit-ing. I just made that up. Why not fast on the 25th? It's The Day of Arafat and you get your sins from the past year and the year ahead washed for your effort inshahallah.

Your friend has some good advice. It is a bit like Dr. Phil's advice to do the next simple thing. Often we think of a huge array of tasks and jumps we need to make to create our life. Really? We can think of the next simple thing.

Light and Love to You and Yours!