Friday, September 14, 2012

Veiled Beauty


Asalamu Alaykom,




The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, is a beautiful woman.  Mashahallah.  This photo shows that her beauty is only purified by the veil.  She wore it on her trip to Malaysia this month.



That smiling image of a beautiful princess in a white scarf is reminescent of her late mother-in-law Princess Diana.  Mashahallah.  I do think that Princess Diana was interested in learning more about Islam thanks to her association with Dodi Fayed.  If they had married...but alhumdulillah.

Oh my goodness!

This shot of Kate Middleton is breathtaking!  Mashahallah.


What's interesting to me is that Kate is experiencing the veil for the first time on her trip overseas at the very same time she is experiencing the results of going naked in public.  No one should have taken pictures of her topless on her vacation while at the same time she is old enough to know better.  Alhumdulillah, she is able to see how dressing modestly feels comforting and a total reclaiming of one's privacy.

It got me thinking of the other Non-Muslims who usually show lots of skin and hair to prove their beauty.  There must be many more pictures of well-known ladies wearing the veil.  So, off I go in search of veiled beauty.


Angelina Jolie when she visited Afghanistan.  Mashallah.  She has been concerned about the welfare of children for years.




The late great Audrey Hepburn under a Hermes shawl.  Mashahallah.  She helped many Muslims through her activities as the Ambassador of UNICEF.


Another Hollywood Lengend, Grace Kelly.  Mashahallah!  No wonder the Prince of Monaco picked her.



The mashahallah incomprabable Sophia Loren.


Sophia Loren is a hard act to follow!  Sorry, Hillary, for putting you next but someone had to do it!

This picture was taken in Pakistan.  Actually, Hillary's blue scarf frames her face very nicely mashahallah and stops her from washing out.  I bet her aide Huma Abedin helped her style it.  She should wear more scarves around her neck instead of those necklaces.


Michelle Obama looks very natural in her scarf mashahallah.  She wrapped it very elegantly.  I like how the fringe accents the top of her coat's lapels.


Here's another coat---this time on newlywed Blake Lively.  I do like this look of scarf around the neck with a beret on top.  I've tried that a couple of times and felt good about it.


By now, you've figured out that I am not cataloging these in any order.  It's as I find them.  Of course, you know this is Twiggy, the iconic 60's mod model from England.  Mashallah, she looks great here.  LOVE the colors and the wrap.  


Here's another top model with a wrapped head.  She's more than just a pretty face. Tyra Banks has championed the rights of women to dress as they wish and be who they are.  She is shown here with her head wrapped and looks mashahallah gorgeous.

Okay, I'm verging on non-celebrity here with...



Ya.

Hard to tell who this is.  

It's Khloe Kardashian going through Los Angeles International.  Mashallah she's able to pull off a look that very few women can do without fear in an airport.


Easier to see that this is her more famous sis Kim Kardasian.  She did try on an abaya (not a burqa as was erroneously reported) when she went shopping in Dubai.  Honestly, this girl is a walking fitnah.  She needs a face veil like nobody's business.  Mashahallah God blessed her with beauty! 




Ahhh!  Look at this mashahallah beautiful picture of the late, great Elizabeth Taylor.

Kate Winslet "channels" Elizabeth Taylor in this photo spread from V Magazine.

Here's one picture


There's many more pictures if you click on the link.

But wait!  This just in!  Elizabeth Taylor in Iran.


She actually remains very much a shining presence.  Thanks to burqa on Tumblr.

If you have links to pictures of celebrities with scarves covering the majority of their head, then let me know in the comments.

None of these ladies are in a hijab.  A hijab scarf covers the hair, neck and chest.  It is worn with the expressed purpose of protection.

My point in showing the pictures is that these ladies are still identifiable as the famous women they are.  They didn't lose their likenesses when they wore a scarf.  They also didn't lose their beauty.  Actually, their beauty was enhanced by a scarf.  We can see them and realize some of this for ourselves.

When we wear our scarves we remain ourselves.  We remain recognizable.  Any beauty we had before putting on the scarf stays with us and is even multiplied.  Subhanallah.

While searching for pictures, I happened on this article from Oprah's Magazine.  Shhhh!  It wasn't on her website.  It was reprinted elsewhere.  It's written by an American mom whose Libyan-American daughter decided to wear hijab while still in grade school.  Mashallah.



Mashahallah.  THIS is hijab.  Little Aliya looks beautiful in it.  May Allah reward her.

Alhumdulillah for the ability to try on different looks and to make decisions for how we want to present ourselves to the world.  May Allah forgive us the times we fall into haram actions as we style ourselves.  May Allah reward us for the times we succeed in presenting ourselves in the best light; the Noor of Islam.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Assalamu alaikum sister.
Masha allah,nice post and pictures.
may allah always be with you.
Jazakallah khair.
SS.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....these ladies are beautiful and the scarves are elegant, too. Beyond that, I don't think women should be reduced to their bodies - either as covered-up role models or as uncovered objects of voyeurism. Women should dress the way they are comfortable with themselves. Cover up if they want, don't if they don't want. Other people's wrong intentions or judgementalism should not not become women's burdens to carry on their bodies.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom SS,

Thanks for stopping by and letting me hear some feedback. This is getting a lot of hits.

May Allah reward you for being kind.

Asalamu Alaykom Anon,

Thanks to you for also commenting.

I'm glad we can both agree that these ladies in scarves are mashahallah beautiful.

Obviously, we aren't going to agree on everything. That's OK.

You write that you don't like extremes. Me neither! Islam is a religion of moderation. That some people take it to extremes shows their inability to balance their lives in the world. I don't fault them (because it's not my job to figure out their lives...my life is tough enough).

I do dress the way I am comfortable. I'll tell you that I used to have body image issues (as a lot of women do). I don't now. A LARGE part of that has to do with my covering up. I uncover at home where I am safe to be sexy or pretty or slug-like...whatever. I don't dress to catch the attention of men any more and that means that I'm freer now alhumdulillah. That freedom from so much focus on my body (my outer) has me more focused these last (Islamic) 10 years on my inner. I'm a better person for this change.

I don't carry any burden. I simply cover up and enjoy the ability to do so. You don't have to if you don't like to. To each her own.

I really like how you worded your response. You come across with some well-worded sentences and I hope you come back again with more comments soon.

My Best,

Yosra

Light and Love to All!