Sunday, September 2, 2012

Congratulations Fatima Nabil

Asalamu Alaykom,




There are some good changes for hijabis in Egypt.  We will start seeing ourselves on the TV news---and not as the person on the street but as the person behind the desk.  The Mubarak ban on veiled presentors has been ruled null and void by the new Minister of Information.  This might seem like nothing but it's truly something wonderful.

You can read more about it here.

Think how it's been for me as a hijabi watching the nightly news.  Every woman is heavily made up with showy clothes and flowing locks.  It isn't me.  It's isn't anyone like me.  Yet, I knew I existed.  I knew that many women like me existed in Egypt.  I just never saw someone who represented me.

Now?  I will see Fatima Nabil.  Mashahallah!

Alhumdulillah.


No comments: