Sunday, July 29, 2012

Wodjan Shahrkhani in a Sports Hijab for Judo

Asalamu Alaykom,

Photograph by Iqö Design Inc.


This is not Olympic Judo competitor Wodjan Shahrkhani.  Wodjan  has been only been photographed wearing a regular hijab in London and it didn't look anything like this.  Hers was a loose veil; a black scarf she wears to protect her modesty according to her religious beliefs.

Obvious to me, but perhaps not to everyone, is that she isn't considering wearing that scarf from her regular wardrobe on to the mat.  Just as I don't wear one of my regular cotton scarf when I go swimming, she would change the kind of covering she wears.  She would be outfitted appropriately.  Though I'm not sure exactly what she would be wearing, I do have some ideas from ResportOn

I want to show the POSSIBILITY of what Wodjan could wear.  Look again at the above picture.  That white hijab was designed by ResportOn; a Canadian company named for both RESpect and Sport.  Thanks goes to Muslim designer Elham Seyed Javad.  Even though she doesn't wear hijab herself, she wanted to help her sporty sisters who do.


To see more of their designs click here.  

To read more about hijabs at the Olympics click here.


I think The International Judo Federation needs to explore different options.  This looks feasible to me.  How about you Judo experts out there?  Do you agree? 

The latest news is this:   "Officials Confident of Solving Judo's London 2012 Hijab Controversy"


INSHAHALLAH!  God willing :)



UPDATED:

July 31, 2012
It was announced that WODJAN WILL COMPETE IN HIJAB



Related Posts:







2 comments:

Marie Vie said...

I think this is a brilliant idea this woman had to create these nice and sporty covers. I don't why this should be a problem. Seeing more women fighting for their rights to wear hijab in every aspects of life could definitely help many muslim women having issues in their daily life.

Inspiring story Yosra, thanks for sharing.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Marie,

Agreed on all counts :)

What I find amazing is that it WASN'T a hijabi who invented this kind of sports cover. It was a woman who didn't! She simply saw the need and made the effort; showing that we can use our lives to better others despite differences.

Glad you were inspired :)

Now go invent something!