Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bloodless Coup

Asalamu Alaykom,



It is another Election Day in Egypt.  This was supposed to be THE BIG DAY and now it isn't.  Oh, the polls are open but the Cairenes are less than enthused.  Why vote if our votes don't matter?

On Thursday, it was announced that Parliament was dissolved.  The Mubarak appointed judge ruled that the men and women elected by popular vote were not elected properly.  This was two days before the elections.  My husband couldn't believe me when I told him.  I had to convince him to turn on the TV.  It came as such a shock that we all haven't recovered from it yet.  It switched minds.  It broke hopes.

It's been called, "a bloodless coup". 

From Wikipedia:

A coup d'état (English: /ˌkuːdeɪˈtɑː/, French: [ku deta]; plural: coups d'état; translation: strike (against the) state, literally: strike/blow of state)—also known as a coup, putsch, and overthrow—is the sudden, illegal deposition of a government,[1][2][3][4] usually by a small group of the existing state establishment—typically the military—to depose the extant government and replace it with another body, civil or military. A coup d'état is considered successful when the usurpers establish their dominance. When the coup neither fails completely nor succeeds, a civil war is a likely consequence.


Only .26% of the Egyptian population is active on Twitter.  That's not even one percent!  It's a fourth of a percent.  And seriously?  Those seem to be the only people concerned that the military has suddenly taken control of the country. 

What I'm going to do is continue to Tweet with the others in this country but I won't be blogging very much about it.  This blog was never meant to be a political place.  It's meant for peaceful things and frankly there's very little peace in politics.

Meanwhile, I've started on pinterest and you can find me there.  As we have discovered, we can't control much in our lives but we can find little pictures we like and arrange them into some kind of meaning which makes enough sense for us to continue hoping that the rest of our life will eventually make sense as well.

Love and Light to All!

3 comments:

egyptchick7 said...

I am so mad!! I bet the motivation to vote is gone - What's the point if this "supreme court" can dissolve a whole govt??

Mind you- supposedly some of these elected officials were fraudulently elected and I am not rooting for the Muslim Brotherhood in any capacity...but....you can't do this 2 days before a presidential vote!! And the emergency law that was dissolved is now again reinstated...WTF is going on???

Love to you too! Stay safe!

Summer said...

Hi, Yosra, I've found myself visiting your blog once more. While I'm not Egyptian, but American, the lack of peace in politics here makes it difficult to even watch the news (though I want to, because current events are so important). There's always one political party battling another. I don't like it at all. I really do wish we could all just get along.

I will have to follow you on Pinterest, if you don't mind. I love the site, and would love to continue learning from you. :)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom EgyptChick,

As you know, it's gotten even crazier with Mubarak's coma. No one knows if it's real or exaggerated or...too many possibilities.

What's strange is the complacency that's going on. Maybe it's the heat! Very few people feel like they can intact change. Later, I know there will be complaints around tea over who is a rotten crook blah blah blah. But then, they should have done their part in the process.

I can't imagine how hard it is for you to feel all the energy for change but be unable to do as much as you'd like.

So, make du'a and let's all hope that life here will make sense soon...or sooner rather than later.

Asalamu Alaykom Summer,

You are welcome here any time. I agree that watching the news is very disturbing. I get my news most of the time on the 'net. I can click or not. It means that I'm not totally informed but that's OK. Dr. Christiane Northrop says that our brains weren't made to handle a global informational system. We can handle the news in the village or the neighborhood---not CNN.

I see you now on Pinterest and I'm glad that you've followed "Strong Women" because those are TRUE role models. We need some feminine power to balance out all the masculine authority around us.

I hope all is going well for you. I wish you better than you wish for yourself.

Love and Light!