Friday, May 18, 2012

Aussies Revert to Islam



This is not a perfect dicusssion.  There are cringe-worthy moments for sure.

However, what I like about this morning show clip from Australia is that it shows the reality of interacting with Non-Muslims. We have to be personable, accessible, well-groomed and well-mannered. We are Ambassadors of Islam.

If you have taken shahaddah, then you accepted this role of benevolent spokesperson for our faith.

If you haven’t taken shahaddah, then realize that presenting Islam in the best light is indeed a responsibility of all Muslims.

I think these three Australian Muslims do a good job at both being open and honest about themselves and at being good representatives of Islam. They listen fully. They answer completely and thoughtfully.

May Allah reward them for both making the journey and helping others to understand.

I like the remark from the show’s male co-host. He’s right when he says that we have not linked religion to extreme behavior in the past so why do it for Islam. It’s an analogous moment when the light bulb might go on in someone’s head. I hope so. I hope that all the education makes it possible for more understanding and respect in the future.

To see another Aussie revert, watch the video I've posted on Musa Cerrantonio.

To watch an excellent documentary on Japanese reverts, watch this.

Subhanallah, there are people coming to Islam from all over the globe.  When we get closer to Allah, we end up getting closer to the goodness of humanity as well.  Watch, understand, thank God.

Alhumdulillah.

Since it's Friday, I'm looking for khotba to watch.  These don't count as a khotba (fascinating though they are).  Inshahallah, I'll find something good and when I do then I'll post it to you.  Likewise, if you find a good khotba, post it to me.  Thanks!





6 comments:

Aishah said...

Asalamu alaikum,

MashAllah, that was a really good clip, may Allah(swt) make us all such good representatives of Islam.

Today I listened to this khutbah on Asalamu alaikum (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2gWUrBeh4&feature=youtu.be) , meanings and etiquette of giving salam. I have also been listening to several of the khutbahs of Abdul Latif Finch( I think you posted one from him?), MashAllah they are very helpful for me.

Um Dayo said...

I'm watching an excellent khutba today based on Surah al-Isra 107-109. Amazing verses, really excellent imam. His name is Arif Hussain and the topic is "O Allah I Seek Refuge In You From The Unsatisfied Soul". Here is the link: http://www.halaltube.com/arif-hussain-the-un-satisfied-soul

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Sisters,

Thanks for giving me some alternatives. I want to get some good soul food.

I've been watching this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73IaoEsijtk&feature=related which is a reality show done by Channel 4 from the UK. There are some really un-Islamic moments (because we can't have a TV show without showing sexiness and sins). On the other hand, the endeavor to take a group of Brits and introduce them to Islam is HUGE. I really wish I could find more episodes. Searching!

If you just want to read about it and avoid the images, you can read about it here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/make-me-a-muslim

Anonymous said...

I like your blog. THank you.

Thankful Slave said...

Assalam Aleikum,

Very interesting clip, thanks for sharing it,

TS

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Anonymous,

I'm glad you like the blog. I appreciate you stopping by, reading AND commenting. I hope you come back again :)

Wa Alaykom Aslam Wa Rahtmatullahi Wa Barakatu TS,

You are really welcome. I'm glad you liked it. There will never be a perfect interview but this one had some really good and honest moments. Those truthful times of sharing will inshahallah help to guide others to Islam.

Feel free to come back here any time :)