Monday, April 2, 2012

Friday Khotba on Monday




Asalamu Alaykom Dear Sisters,

I am listening to a Friday khotba and it's only Monday.  It's from Imam Abdul Latif Finch from the Lighthouse Mosque in Oakland, California. 

I listen to a khotba every Friday BUT I don't understand it.  The masjid broadcasts it from down the street and it seeps in through every window.  However, it can't seep into my brain because I don't understand it.

So, every Friday I do my laundry and lament that I can't understand the khotba in Arabic. 

Poor me.

I'm a foreigner abroad without any English khotba.
Then, tonight (right now in fact) the truth hit me BAM!

I'm lying to myself.  I'm making excuses for my laziness.  If I really wanted to hear a khotba I have thousands to chose from and in English.  I have youtube!  I have a satelitte dish! 

Why am I not making more effort on Fridays to listen to some spirit-sustaining messages?

Astragferallah.

May Allah forgive me and all the sisters who make excuses

that the kids prevent them

or that no car prevents them

or that a language barrier prevents them

or that work prevents them

or that their busy lives prevent them.

Astragferallah.

Let's all stop making excuses and make more of an effort to set aside time every Friday to hear a khotba.

4 comments:

Safiyah said...

Very true :)
May Allah swt reward you for this reminder, ameen!
I read some of your posts, and I think you write beautifully, mashaAllah! xxx

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Safiyah,

Ameen.

Thanks for writing me this message. It helps to know that I've been heard.

Inshahallah there will be more of us attending the virtual masjids this Friday.

What do you think of me posting a Friday khotba which others could watch and comment that they watched it along with any thoughts they have. It would be kind of like a Book Club...but it would be a Khotbah Club.

Thinking...

let me know what you think! :)

Aishah said...

Asalamu alaikum,

JazakhAllah khair for this post, it is such a brilliant idea. I have now listened to a khutbah two weeks in a row. InshAllah I will be trying to make a more productive use of my internet time!

I just wanted to let you know I linked you on my latest post- http://aishaevamarieogradyali.blogspot.com/2012/04/friday-feature-online-khutbahs.html

Yosra said...

YAAAY for Aishah!

Asalamu Alaykom Aishah,

Seriously, it's such a simple thing but it's the complicated mind which stops us from doing it. Alhumdulillah that we've broken our internet web of complications. I'm happy to think of others making the switch because it is such a positive.

Thanks for linking :)

"See you" next Friday!