Saturday, December 31, 2011

Superlative 2011




Time to look back at 2011


Proudest 
Of our little family when we traveled to Luxor a year ago.

                                                          

And proud of this country; its history, beauty and people.


Closest   
I've been to living through a war. 

The Revolution was a frightening, uncertain test of endurance.  Alhumdulillah that the worst inshahallah seems to be over.


First     
 time I've owned a rabbit.



This was also the first time I've decided not to own a rabbit.


Saddest    
I've been at losing friends and not finding new ones.


Most
Shocked 
to learn that my father with Alzheimers had gone missing.

He was gone with the car for nine hours last Christmas Eve but I wasn't told about it until this March.  Alhumdulillah he found his way home.  I was shocked again when his plan to see me this summer fell through.


Biggest     
television contract I've ever been offered. 

Alhumdulillah that my abilities were affirmed.Alhumdulillah that my common sense prevailed in turning it down.  I wasn't who they wanted me to me.


Oldest       
I've ever been in my life. 

That's only kind of a joke.  I realize it's true every day but it feel truer this year.

                             
For my birthday, just to feel younger by comparison, I saw the oldest boat in the world.


Best                


Longest    

This was a challenge and alhumdulillah we passed it and it made us stronger. 


Most
Excited 
to get my new Kindle. 

Alhumdulillah, every night I first read to Mr. Boo and then read my Kindle.  Reading Eat, Pray, Love was a real treat.


Heaviest 
luggage I've ever carried onto a plane. 

Alhumdulillah I got my Mohammed Asad Quran translation with me! 


Least      
numbers of days I've ever fasted in Ramadan without being pregnant or nursing. 

Alhumdulillah I've just finished making them up.


Most
Relieved  
to take my son back to the Egyptian coast this Eid. 

                                           

He was able to revisit his Grandma.  They could speak in Arabic together and pray together.


Happiest
I've been striving for and achieving a halal life.  

Alhumdulillah, I think (Allahu alim) that this moment in my life is the most halal.


Readiest 
I've been for death. 



At this point, I've accepted death as an eventuality and found my burial place.


Alhumdulillah we were all given a year to improve our lives.  May Allah allow us to live through 2012 and give us all another chance at living this year better than the last.

7 comments:

Salma @ Chasing Rainbow said...

Salam Yosra, I have to say that you have had quite an interesting year, mashawAllah. It's amazing how the time goes so fast.

Reading through your posts, I can see why you are so eloquent, and realistic, yet very faithful and steadfast in your Happy New Year!

Can't wait to read more in 2012, inshaAllah.

Yosra said...

Wa Alaykom Asalam Salma,

You have been quite a busy commentator! Thanks for reading through and letting me know how the posts resounded in you. It's hard to put a LOT out there and only have a few comments (even though you know people are reading).

Inshahallah, I'll have something to say in 2012 AND I hope I know when I have nothing to say too ;)

Best wishes for the months ahead!

Inspiring Always said...

Glad to know you through Marie and Salma's blog. Looking forward to reading more of your journey.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Inspiring,

Welcome :)

Any sister-friend of Salma and Marie is a sister-friend of mine.

Thanks for coming over for a visit. Inshahallah, there will be more to write this year. I appreciate that you took the time to leave a comment.

Nadya said...

This is such a creative post. I loved it. And it seems that you had a very exciting year.
May 2012 bring you lots of love and abundant blessings.

Foz said...

Loved this post! You certainly had a busy year.

And you have a rabbit!! I do too... :)

MarieHarmony said...

Yosra, I am happy to find the time to read through your 2011 year. It seems a lot has been going on but you found some peace in the turmoil of the Revolution.
It's always a pleasure to read you, so I look forward 2012, and we'll meet face to face around a coffee Inch'Allah!
Take care.