Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Our Companions



We have some really awful friends.

We keep them because we don't want to feel lonely.

Do you know what AbuBakr said?


"Solitude is better than
the society of evil persons."

Think about that.

Do you have someone in your life who is not good for you?

Do you feel better or worse after associating with them?  Do they add or subtract from your life?

Often we don't even think of these subtractors as friends.  We think of them as acquaintances.  They are the hangers-on in our life.  They aren't really people we would choose but somehow they fell into our life.  They don't represent our highest hope; they are the people we can't "unfriend" though we loathe to deal with them.  They bring us down.

A sheik on TV asked us the viewers if we had good friends.  He asked if those friends would be the people we'd want in the last minute of our life.  Could those friends be trusted to help guide our final moments?

That hit me hard.

If I couldn't trust that person to help me in my final moments (by helping me to say, "La illaha il Allah wa Muhammadar Rasullulah") then why would I want them in any of the moments leading up to it?  There are many watershed moments in our life, which actually seem like a kind of dying, when we need to slough off an old way of life and adopt a new one.  We need the best of people surrounding us to help us be the people we are capable of being. 

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) was surrounded by the best of men.  These men were his companions; the Sahabi.  I am very happy to find a pdf collection of many wonderful stories about these friends.  http://www.jamiamasjid.com/hikayate_sahaba.pdf 

There is also a lot of information about the companions on this website of Islamic Landmarks.

This site might surprise you:  It's about a final resting place of a sahabi in China

Learn who these people were and find out why they were allowed into the inner circle of The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him).  We can ask ourselves if there are lessons we can glean for our own lives.  Can we be better people?  Lastly, we can examine those in our inner circle and truly question if they are a help and a guidance for us.

I did that with a former co-worker last week.  I hadn't spoken with her for so long.  I hadn't seen her when I was back in the States over the summer.  I hadn't even traded messages over the computer.  Zero contact.  I saw her name come up on my chat list and I greeted her.

"Asalamu Alaykom," I wrote.

"WAS," she answered.

I wondered what really I had to say to this lady.  She was another Muslimah.  We had been in the same place at the same time.  She had shown me a lot of kindness back in 2008.  Did we have much to say now?

She did.

"I make du'a for you and your family every day.  I pray for your safety."

I saw those words appear on the screen.  They shocked me.  I had forgotten her but she had not forgotten me.  Astragferallah that I was not a better friend for her when she was such a good friend for me.  It was then that I asked her about her life.  There had been so many changes and all of them positive.  Alhumdulillah.  I felt so good after our short chat.

She remains on my list.

Who is on your list?  Who are your companions?

Are they in your prayers?  Are you in theirs?  

May Allah forgive us the desire we have for companionship which often over-rides our common sense.  May Allah forgive us the many times we have good friends who get forgotten even though they always remember us.


3 comments:

Londoneya said...

I follow this saying in my life, I'd rather be alone with God and my family who will never let me down than with a hundred friends who are not really friends. Really happy I read this.

Anonymous said...

Great article. I've enjoyed this contribution. Its nice to see every questions answered in a blog post like this. I will add this post on my blog and link to it. Thanks for a clear informative post, I've learned a lot. I hope to see videos though as I can be A.D.D and reading articles is not my favorite thing to do online. So what I do sometimes is just print the whole thing and read offline.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Londoneya and Anon,

Glad that you liked the posting. It's not a "nice" article in that it makes us face a hard truth. However, if we are honest with ourselves, then our lives do become better over time.

Londoneya, it sounds like you've already gone through that decision time. Alhumdulillah for knowing what you really need---PEACE! :) From peace, you found your happiness.

I should find out where you are in Egypt. Maybe we're neighbors ;)