Thursday, December 29, 2011

Giving Dawah to Your Computer




Language is power. 

When I use Word Documents on my computer, I get reminded by the Spell Check that I'm not part of the mainstream.  I use words like:



alhumdulillah

astragferallah

asalamu alaykom

ayah

azan

hadith

hijab

hijrah

hajj

inshahallah

Islamically

Jannah

Kabba

masalama

masjid

Quranic

Shaytan

shariah

subhanallah

surah

tasbeeh

That's a list of words which have been tranliterated from Arabic letters to English letters.  Sounds are basically the same.  We Muslims use these words every day yet on Spell Check it's as if they've never existed.  If you've written these words on any Word Document, then you know what I mean.  A wiggly red line appears underneath to tell you that you're wrong.

You're wrong.

This isn't a word in our culture.

You're wrong.

You're not in our culture, are you?

So, I'm going to tell you a very empowering thing to do:  copy my list of words (above) and paste them into a Word Document then do a Spell Check.  Watch all the wiggly red lines appear.  Then with each word go ahead and click, "Add" to your computer's dictionary.  The red lines go away!  You can now type any of those words and have the computer know what you mean.

It is no longer their computer; it's YOUR computer.

And you're not wrong.  You're Muslim. 

Now go use some words which help define you as a Muslim.

Let me know in the comment section if there are more Islamic words which Spell Check needs to be taught.

3 comments:

Summer said...

Hi Yosra,
I'm not a Muslim, but I still wanted to comment anyway, if that's okay - I've been reading Matt Logelin's blog and your comments on his posts just blow me away. They are so wise and eloquent; I've found myself looking forward to them as much as I do his posts! So, I just wanted to thank you for sharing your wisdom. :)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Summer,

Thanks so much for stopping by today! I went to your blog too and left this MAMMOTH message. I'm not sure if I'll still sound wise after you read it.

Maybe my comments to Matt were extra special because I felt his need was so great at that time. Not just him---the whole family. I've met everyone---except Brooke (who wasn't around at that time) and I really admire their ability to keep going. Inshahallah, some of what I said helped them to do that. They've told me that it did.

Did you see the posting I did on the first anniversary of Liz's birthday?
http://afterhardship.blogspot.com/2008/09/ramadan-17-make-it-count.html

It's absolutely fine for Non-Muslims to be reading and commenting---the more the merrier! The only ones who can't comment are mean people.

Please consider "following" this blog as a way of staying in touch with the occassional good thought I've got.

The good is from God and the bad is from me. As always, take the good and leave the bad.

I appreciate your cup of sweet tea today. Please stop by again.

Mrs Turk (@maydossu) said...

Mashallah. Love the idea behind this post..thanks for the inspiration.