Monday, December 26, 2011

Candy Klefty







Mr. Boo is a funny guy.

He's six years old now but still as mischievous as ever.

I don't know what it is in his genes which makes him so dangerously clever.  I'm not sure if it was the ancestors who helped design the Pyramids or his ancestors who escaped the Irish Potato Famine.  Maybe it's a molotov cocktail of both.

He's very independent and I try to encourage that, while not letting him get out of control.  When he wants something to eat or drink, he can help himself after getting permission.  He's usually good about getting permission...unless it's something really good that he wants very badly.

He knew that we had been given chocolates from Twinky's in lovely gold tinfoil.  Because we live in Egypt, I've gotten used to putting candies on the door shelf of the refrigerator.  This way they don't melt in the heat. 

"Can I eat one chocolate?"  He begged in that really tired, whiney voice which lets you know it's time for bed.

"No."

"Pleeeeeeease?"  He tried being endearing but it came off as annoying.

"No chocolate after dinner.  It's a rule and you know it."  And the subject was closed.

Okay, so because he's tenacious, the next morning after breakfast, he comes to me in the salon and he's rapidly unwrapping gold foil and asking, "Can I have a chocolate now?"

I was busy and he had already unwrapped it anyway.

I sighed, "Go ahead."

He takes a big bite and chews away happily.

Then a confused look comes over his face.

"This is salty." 

I stop working.  "Salty?"  A thought occurs to me, "Dude, does it taste like chicken or chocolate?"

He's now got his tongue hanging out of his mouth and he's trying to speak. "Get the taste out!"

Yes, he's taken a big bite of bouillon cube. 

I tried not to laugh as I got him to rinse his mouth out. 

"It's not funny!" he chastised me.

Well, of course it was but I knew that he didn't see it that way.

He was fine after I gave him an apple to eat.

And I was fine after telling the story over and over.  It still cracks me up!

2 comments:

Salma @ Chasing Rainbow said...

Aww, may Allah bless him. He sounds like my Amira (she's 12), but I often think the same thing...where does it come from?

Salam alaikum!

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Salma,

Ameen :) Can we blame their fathers? But alhumdulilah, I would rather have a lively boy than a lethargic one. I have a leathargic boy in my class this year and it's so hard to get an energy flow with him!

Blessings on your Amira. May Allah protect her as she enters into teenager-dom.