Monday, November 14, 2011

Late for Duhr


I was late for my appointment with Duhr.  He had started waiting for me at 11:40, which was not a good time for me to meet.  Sunday through Thursday I'm busy at work and I can't always meet with him.  Sometimes I get washed up to meet him and then have to bail out due to other pressing concerns.

He's really so nice about it.  He waits for me until around 2:30.  He gives me all that time to see him for those six minutes.  That's all he's asking for!  Can you believe it?  Every day he waits patiently even though he knows that I may or may not be making time for him.

Of course I'm sorry when I find myself too busy.  I always ask myself later if I really was too busy or if I could have made more of an effort.  Was there any way that I could have removed myself from the kindergarten room for that short break?  Those of you who are teachers know that it's harder than it sounds!  However, it's not impossible.

Duhr stays until Asr comes.  They are never waiting for me at the same time.  I basically lose the chance to have a good meeting with Duhr if it's actually the time for Asr.  Asr doesn't hold it against me if I haven't met with Duhr.  It's not like I can't meet with Asr if I haven't met with Duhr.  They don't play like that.

However, I feel badly that I missed Duhr's time.  Usually, I feel badly all the way home.  I get home, knowing that I need to be on time for my appointment with Asr.  I'm hardly ever late for Asr.  It's not that I like Asr more.  I like Duhr just as much as Asr!

So, when I get home I want to get back on track.  I used to call up Duhr first and try to do right by him.  I couldn't see him face-to-face any more.  I told Asr to wait while I was calling up Duhr.  I don't think Asr liked that one bit.  I had upset Duhr and now, while I was trying to appease him over the phone, I had to deal with Asr losing patience with me as well.

What to do?!

My husband told me that I should really be good to Asr right away.  Come home, get together first with Asr and really keep that appointment on time.  Afterwards, he instructed, I could go backwards in my day planner and make sure everything was OK with Duhr.  It wouldn't be exactly as good as it could have been but it's necessary to keep in touch with him every day no matter what. 

It was a different approach and I decided to try it.  The next time I stood on the prayer rug ready to meet Duhr first, I stopped.  I closed my eyes and really focused my intentions.  No, I would meet with Asr first since that is who was ready to meet me right now.  No, I would not call Duhr first since that window of opportunity was closed. 

When I connected with Asr first, I really felt an energy shift.  I felt quickness in my movements and a re-vitalization in my soul.  It was an improvement over dragging my limp, lifeless body through the motions.  When I was with Duhr after that, it didn't seem to take so long; it was a breeze.  Somehow, I felt that I'd put my prioritizes in order and that eased the whole experience.

Having said that, not everyone agrees who should get your time first.  Do your own research.  Make your own decisions.  An unexaimed life is not worth living.  So examine your life and specifically your relationship with Duhr and Asr, as well as their friends Fajr (who always comes so early in the day), Magrib, and Isha (the night owl of the group).  These are five friends who really deserve your time and effort.

5 comments:

Kaighla said...

MashaAllah, I loved this! Such a sweet way to address a very serious subject. It really gave it more...personality? ha ha

Anonymous said...

Really! Your actually meeting with Allah (swt). I don't mean to not have liked what you wrote. But it's a little to silly of language when your meeting with the creator. Just my opinion! Remember to take prayers seriously they are referred to as Salat.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Kaighla and Anon,

I was waiting for both of your comments. I was pretty sure it would be a mixed bag on this posting.

What I wrote makes worshippers view the prayer time in a different vein. I never say we are praying to anyone besides Allah. In a perfect world, we do all our prayers on time to Allah. However, there are many who don't do their prayers on time. This post helps address that issue in a way which is light-hearted but not silly. As a teacher I know, you learn the best when you are relaxed and enjoying what you hear. Inshahallah, this message was heard better than

HARAM!

HARAM!

HARAM!

I tend to tune that out very quickly.

Being light-hearted is not a sin in Islam. In fact, the best of Muslims are said to have the Noor of Islam. Being heavy and serious all the time is not sunnah. The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) loved to be playful with the children and with his wives.

Stories and allegories are used throughout Islam to help illuminate understanding of deep issues.

Let's keep practising our Islam and keep finding new ways to increase our understanding and appreciation of our faith.

Anonymous said...

I never said ANYTHING was HARAM! Yes, the Prophet Muhammed (saw) was playful at times but not when it comes down to meeting times for prayer, this is not a time for silliness, I think your interpertation was to be laxed and lazy about prayer and how you can skip this one and make up this one and I think it gives non-muslims a feeling that it's not that important, in which it is VERY important. I am not trying to jab at your posting I just think there is a time for playfulness and dealing with non-muslims but not in regards to certain prayers such as Duhr & Asr. Inshallah, I hope you get my point.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Serious Sis,

Honey, I'm not writing for Non-Muslims. I'm writing. If a Muslim gets something out of my post---great! If a Non-Muslim gets something out of my post---great! If you get only upset out of my post----sorry!

I think your point is not a good one. Re-read. The truth is the we miss prayers. We miss prayers.

We

miss

prayers.

It's the truth. Now, is it right? Nope! I didn't say it was right. I said point blank that I feel badly when I miss.

Many Muslims leave Islam from feeling badly that they weren't the perfect worshipper. That's really too sad. We should be able to do wrong and to find a way to keep the faith. That's my post.

If all I did on the 'net was write the blah blah blah of how great Islam is then I would not really be helping as many as I can by admitting failings. We fail. What do we do AFTER the moment we fail? 'Cause do you know the number of Muslims on the planet right now who are perfect?

ZERO!

We are all a bit goofed-up in our attempts. The difference with me is that I don't hide it. I put it out there and I'm honest.

I hear that you are honestly presenting your ideas so I will share this space with you. I disagree with your points but there is room for both of our viewpoints.

Thank you for coming forward and stating your opinion.

No hard feelings.