Friday, June 3, 2011

One Bad Apple



Hard night...

                      a better day.

After hardship...
 
                      there is ease.


As I made some food to calm my stomach, I picked the last apple out of the bag.  It wasn't really that beautiful.  It was questionable.  I washed it and examined it as I rubbed my wet hands over it.  If I wanted to eat an apple this morning then this would have to suffice.

I cut.

It was rotten.

The breadsticks and feta lay on the plate waiting for some apple.  It was my plan.  I don't let go of my plans easily.  It's the Scot in me. 

So I continued cutting and found a chunk of apple which was free from the brown blemish of the pieces I'd discarded before.  I double-checked.  I could eat that. 

I cut more away and found two more chunks to salvage.

My plate was full. 

My stomach got full.

I was grateful.  Alhumdulillah.

It's easy to discard that which displeases us---whether it's people, places, careers, religion or even life itself.  It's harder to keep with the initial plan and remain steadfast when you feel pulled.

In that moment, when you want to throw everything away, remember to find the good, the fresh, clean, juicy and nourishing.  It's there amidst the bad.  It needs you to be mindful, careful and patient as you go about finding it.

Peace to you.

Peace to all the bad apples.


2 comments:

MarieHarmony said...

Great way to say things and good reminder. Perfect for me who would be tempted to put it all in the bin, without looking. I'll improve!
Have a lovely week-end Yosra and hope you are feeling better.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Marie,

Thanks for reading and commenting. I need my analogies to keep me going. Islam is full of them so it's a good fit for me.

Inshahallah we'll all improve.

Thanks for your well wishes. I'm better in many regards so I'll be grateful for what has improved :)