Friday, May 20, 2011

Poll: What Should I Sell?





I have been having regular polls on the sidebar.  I kind of like this focused interaction.  It allows me to take the pulse of my readers (and find out if anyone is still paying attention).

I wrote this,

"Inshahallah I'll travel to the U.S. this summer. I've been thinking of packing my suitcases with items I could sell. This way, while I'm in the U.S., I'll have some dollars to spend. Not sure if it's a good idea. Vote on the latest poll to help me decide. Thanks!"

Here's how you responded:
NO to anything      2%
YES to clothing     4%
YES to jewlery      5%
YES to linen          1%

Now, after having some time to think about it, I've decided not to really put too much effort into making money off items from Egypt.  My heart isn't into it.  I love buying gifts.  I love buying lovely things and keeping them.  I don't actually love buying things which I have to convince someone (somewhere) that they need to own it.

The awful economy in the U.S. is partly to blame for my decision.  I don't think that spending habits are so loose and fancy-free.  I think people are still tight with their cash.  If I spend my money counting on YOU wanting to spend yours...it isn't that smart.

The place I'm headed to already has a lot of immigrants bringing stuff from "back home" and they have a corner on the market.  Why try to compete with them?  They have shops and regular customers. 

And where would I go to sell?  That really worried me.  I have a lot of chutzpah but I'm not imagining the big duffel bag coming into the masjid and me opening it up after prayers.  Besides, chutzpah is yiddish and probably not allowed.

So!  I will bring the long tunic tops and skirt for my pal, the light summer dresses for my mom, jewelry for my girlie, some scarves, and a lot of Islamic wall hangings.  I don't think I'll get any money for any of it.  It's okay.

3 comments:

Umm Aaminah said...

Salaam sis. You might want to try selling on ebay. Of course you have to carefully weigh the shipping costs plus ebays charges as well to see if there would be any benefit to you. :-)

Otherwise, when you are here in the US you can always approach some non-Muslim shops (most Muslim shop-owners already have contacts overseas). Tell them you are living in Egypt, have access to wholesale goods, and bring some samples of what you have sourced.

Just a thought. :-)

TwinCitiesLynn said...

Will you be coming back to MN during your travels? If so, I would love to meet you someplace for coffee if there is time, so we can be properly introduced! :)

egyptchick7 said...

I was one of the ppl who voted "NO TO ANYTHING" bc frankly, egyptian chotchkes, although cheap, are not something that is super desirable by Americans here ( my belief) ....and your question "where would i go to sell"? Great question bc I wouldnt begin to know where to sell and I am in NYC...which is super diverse and I would probably invest more in a street permit to sell than how much I would make from the souvenirs...

I just discovered a website called airbnb.com which people rent out their spare bedrooms for the night, like a hotel...but it's actual real ppl...if you have a spare room in ur house I'm sure you could rent it for a good $60 a night to tourists who need lodging next to the pyramids :)