Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stinky Socks Cure Coughs



Asalamu Alaykom,








I swear that I've had enough sleepless nights to last a lifetime.

It's hard being a working mom.

It's even harder being a sick working mom with a sick kid.  Alhumdulillah.  For the last week I've been Super Teacher by day and Super Mom by night.  It's tiring!  It's only for the last two days that we're getting any sleep.

I put menthol (like Vicks) on the soles on my boy's feet and slap on some socks.  He sleeps the night!  MIRACLE!  Subanallah!

Sure, there's a little more to it than that. 

From the moment he got feverish, I've been treating his symptoms. 
  • I eliminated all dairy and mucus producing foods immediately:  no milk, cheese, yogurt, no fish or banana. 
  • I gave him lots of clear liquids. 
  • I increased his intake of vitamin-C rich foods like fresh peaches and cantaloupe.
  • I had him really hanging over the bathroom sink blowing his nose out. 
  • At night and in the morning, I had him gargle with salt water and used a little of that in his nose. 
  • I insisted that he blow his nose all the time so he didn't suck it down to his lungs.
  • He got lots of rest propped up on pillows.
He hates to take medicine so I didn't force the expectorate/cough suppressant right away when he started coughing at bedtime.  The cough is always the last to go away in the life of a cold.  When he couldn't sleep and I couldn't sleep, I forced the medicine.  Yet, he still woke up hours later; coughing some more.

That's when I heard about this folk remedy.  I didn't want to try anything on my boy without his permission.  I'm funny that way.  Maybe I imagine that I want him to do the same to me when I'm old(er) and feeble.  So, when he was fully awake, I told him what I wanted to do.

"NO!  I'll stink!" was his first reaction.

A few coughs later, I did what I had to do---and it worked!  He slept peacefully.  He's sleeping now.  Alhumdulillah. 

This is much better than trying to put it on his nose or chest.  I've tried that before.  This was easier and more effective by far.  Let me know if you've ever tried it.

No comments: