Saturday, April 16, 2011

Fast Fasting!

     Asalamu Alaykom My Sisters,






I don't have to include the brothers in this one.  Men and women in are different and Islam recognizes this.  All the men did their fasting during Ramadan.  Us?  Nope!

Most of us had to take some days off during Ramadan since we don't fast during our monthly menstrual cycle (our period; a visit from Aunt Flo).  We also don't have to fast if we feel unable during pregnancy or breastfeeding.  Time off is a mercy from Allah---God be praised!

However those days must be made up later. 

Some sisters like to make up all the days right away after Eid Al-Fitr.  God bless 'em, that ain't me!  I need a real break after a month of hardship. 

Some sisters chip away at the days by fasting sunnah on Mondays and Thursdays.  These are days the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) fasted.

A great time to fast is during the week of Hajj; in the days leading up to Arafat.

Others try to get the days done when the time of fasting is the shortest, i.e., the shortest days of the year in the winter.

Then, there's me.  I have my Post-It Note on the refrigerator with numbers crossed out

6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

but as you notice, two of those days remain. Yes, I've made it to these days in Spring with two days left of fasting.  How did that happen???

Okay, so today I'm fasting, alhumdulillah.  I'm fasting from 3:57 am to  6:23 pm.  Inshahallah, I'll fast tomorrow too since we're off from school due to the Coptic Palm Sunday. 

I knew I needed to fast and not just to make up the days from Ramadan.  I felt overwhelmed by recent events in my life.  After the initial enthusiasm wore off, I felt scared by possiblities for change and advancement.  I felt tired by what Allah might be asking from me and I needed strength.

Isn't that an oxymoron?  How can it be that allowing yourself to be in a weakened state makes you stronger?!  Yet, I know it to be true.  Somehow, when I fast, I stop relying on the energy from food and water and even from myself.  I go beyond my physicalness and reach a spiritual place of quiet acceptance of my limitations.  In that place, I find my best connection to The Power.  Alhumdulillah.

This is a friendly reminder to my sisters to get those fasting days done before the sun stays longer and longer in the sky.  Though today is a challenge, I know that it's going to be much harder come June. 

May Allah accept all our fasting and prayers.

2

2 comments:

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom,

ALHUMDULILLAH my days are DONE! No more mandatory fasting until Ramadan.

Wheweee! Today was a hot 97 and I had to be out in the morning walking around. Alhumdulillah, I could take a (very loud) tuk-tuk ride home.

Next year, inshahallah, I'll be smarter and fast earlier in the year. Last year I was making up days in July--LOL! So, I'm getting better each year, inshahallah.

Here's wishing that all of you get your days done and that they are accepted.

Umm Assad said...

Salams Yosra May Allah reward you for the reminder, I certainly need to get on my make-up days! :0}