Monday, April 18, 2011

Egypt, Helwa Ya Baladi



Egypt is flush with patriotism. You can't turn on the TV stations here without hearing a nationalistic ballad. I live here but I am not carried away by flag waving. I wasn't into that in America, so it's unlikely I'll feel that here. Alhumdulillah, I'm a Muslim.

I've had quite a few people talk to me like, "If you're lucky you'll turn into an Egyptian!" Which is laughable. I'll always be me---and I'm Muslim-American with European ancestry.

Having said all that, I do like Dalida's voice. Go ahead and enjoy this song along with the great images of Egypt. This country does have it all: the scenery, the city life, the history, and culture oozing out of every crevice.

If you like Dalida, try viewing  one of my favorite songs from her. You'll get a chance to see this lovely lady. What an amazing beauty! She was half Egyptian and half Italian and she got the best of both. Mashahallah. May Allah forgive her sins and award her Paradise.

2 comments:

Safyiah said...

Salamo Aleikom Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu

I know exactly what you mean. There's a lot of nationalism going on now (there was before as well, but now it's worse after the Revolution). Alhamdulilah, I'm a Portuguese Muslim living in Egypt. I don't really want to "be an Egyptian". I just want to be me. What I notice is that Egyptians let themselves carry away in this patriotism or nationalism thing which goes against many teachings in Islam... May Allah guide them and may we have a better Egypt tomorrow, ameen.

Marie said...

I kind of like the nationalistic ballad on the Egyptian channel, as I can discover a bit more about Egyptian culture, but it is true it is all over the place every day.

Dalida is a Great lady and a wonderful Singer with a not so easy life unfortunately, but her voice and her songs are with me always - i will make sure to listen to this song when I reach home tonight - Thanks for sharing it Yosra.
Have a lovely day and stay well!