Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Jesus and Muhammad (peace be upon them)

Name three things that Jesus and Mohammed (or their teachings) had in common.



Thanks for asking!

I won't be placing a picture of either since we Muslims really don't want to get into worshipping a man. Jesus (peace be upon him) is also one of our prophets so us reverring Jesus would be one commonality. We also believe his mother Mary/Mariam was the best among women and conceived although being a virgin. Though there are other commonalities, most importantly we believe that there is no other God except God. That's monotheisism and our brothers and sisters in Judaism are the third Abrahamic branch.

Why care? Well, I've always cared about people and cultures and beliefs. Loved me some social studies! 2 billion Chriistians in the world. 1.5 billion Muslims. Only 14 million Jews. Put 'em all together and that's a lot of people who are your neighbors, your teachers, your doctors, your your friends and family. And yes, some of the people who describe themselves as followers are the haters, the criminals and terrorists. Getting to know the truth about the teachings of each religion mean that you understand a majority of the world better. That's got to help.

I mean...why should I care about anyone? Why should I care about you?  There are lots of reasons starting with you are a person worthy of my understanding and respect. Are you perfect? No. No one reading this is an angel. But you personally and the many societal groups collectively have a lot to offer the world and I hope you can see that in me as well.

Both Jesus and Muhammed (peace be upon them) were lights in the darkness who offered ethical alternatives to unjust worlds. Let's see if each one of us can figure out how to shine forth more. That's better than figuring out how to snuff out the lights of the one we don't understand.

3 comments:

Marie said...

Well said and great idea to show the similarities between the religions - I think it is this way by tracing what link us, instead of what separate us, that we will know better about each other and learn from one another.
Thanks for sharing - Be blessed

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Marie,

Nice to see you here! I appreciate the green and the water on your avatar. I need both of those in abundant supplies!

I had the pleasure of meeting a little Christian lady by the name of Mariam this morning. Now I'm meeting YOU! :)

You'll have to keep reading to find out where I met her but it's fascinating for REAL!

I agree that we are more alike than we are dissimilar. I hugged that lady and felt nothing but goodness between us.

May God bless you and yours as well.

Yosra said...

Kaighla says:

Asalaamu alaykum, sister. I have just stumbled across your blog and am excited to follow your blogs. I too am an American Muslim, but am moving to Egypt this fall, inshaAllah.

Yosra says:

Wa Alaykom Asalam Kaighla,

Well, you know there are no coincidences so God really brought you by this blog for a reason. I hope the reason is to connect with the reality of a move to Egypt. Inshahallah, seeing some of my journey will help you with yours. It doesn't mean that everything will be the same. Each person is so different and so your time will be unique and special---just like you :)

Keep reading---did you click the sidebar in order to "Follow"? I'll look forward to your questions and comments, Kaighla.