Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Why Ousting a Dictator is Like Getting a Divorce

      This summer in Cairo I found it:

      The Perfect Break-up Sweater!
      Let the world how miserable you really feel! 
      Don't wear it on your sleeve!  Wear it on your chest!


"Sometimes I tell myself that I'm better off without you
And then I have the emptiness I feel inside without you
and find a way to make it through another day. 
I need a way to find the truth within me
Accept the fact that
I love you."


Wow.

Have no fear.  I am not purchasing the sweater.  Alhumdulillah, I felt loved this Valentine's Day. 

It hasn't always been the case, in fact if you've read this blog you'll figure out I've been through divorce.  Ok, divorces.  Alhumdulillah, they made me stronger.

Infact, one thought that crossed my mind during this Egyptian Revolution is, "HEY! I made it through three divorces.  I can make it through one revolution!"

Which is why I've come up with this list of

Why Ousting a Dictator is Like Getting a Divorce


It's a really exhaustive process which makes the good act better and the bad act worse.

You don't feel like you can leave the house.  The bed feels like the safest place of all.

People who don't know your situation at all suddenly become, "experts" and talk about you ad naseam.

You run through a range of emotions; within minutes of feeling free, you feel scared about the future.

You wonder how much cash you have, if you have enough to get by and if you really should have bought that new furniture.  "How many months of food would that armoire have bought?"

You start looking around to see if there is anyone better comin down the pike---'cause there HAS to be somebody better, right?  I mean...you wouldn't get stuck in another bad situation right afterward...right?  I mean, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice---hey, he's got a Nobel Prize!

When you soften and get sentimental over the good old days, suddenly a stupid stunt (like telling you he has to talk to you at 5 pm and not arriving until almost 11 pm) reminds you why you're all done.

You worry about how it's affecting the kids.  You'd like to comfort them and tell them everything is going to be okay, but you have to convince yourself of that first.

Everybody calls you once it's over and congratulates you like it's a happy thing but you don't feel happy.

You do thank God for whatever you have (family, friends, food, peace) and feel more gratitude for less. 

No comments: