Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Happy Hijri 1432



Today marks a remarkable 1432 years since our beloved Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) brought believers from Mecca to form a new life in Medina.

Those citizens of Medina who helped the newcomers have become known as the "ansar". 

I've had my own band of ansar here in Egypt.

UmAhmed
This is the little rotund lady who sits on my street selling termos beans.  She greets me in peace with this lovely smile and makes me feel welcomed home.  When she was gone for weeks, I wondered what had happened to her.  When she returned, I learned she had given birth to a baby girl and that the baby had died.  She still smiled.

UmMohamed
She is this a big lady with such a big heart.  I am welcomed into her home any time I wish.  She truly cares for our welfare and would do anything to help us.

Ali
This bus driver used to ring me up when the bus reached our apartment so that I wouldn't miss it.  This year, I'm not taking the bus because the rates went up.  Ali still sneaks us on his bus at the end of the day if I need a ride.

Dada Gamalette
My cleaning lady at school laughs each day with me, offers me food, and prayers.  She sincerely wants to do a good job.  She is the sole breadwinner in her family.  Every Thursday we shout in merriment, "Enaharda Hamez!"  meaning "Today is Thursday!" since on Friday we both have a day off.  She returns to work on Saturday to ensure that everything is fine for my return on Sunday.

UmMawabdu
She used to yell at me from underneath the balcony of my old apartment when my wet clothes drying on the line would drip onto her pavement below.  I made some kind of ammends with her, hugged her and I have stayed in her good graces ever since.  She gives my boy gifts of money, candy and biscuits even though she has little to spare.

GedduFarag
This gaunt, elderly shopkeeper would always throw in an extra candy for my boy.  But more than that, he would talk to me of the beauty of Ramadan or the time he went to Hajj. 

The Chicken Shop Lady
I'm thinking right now if I actually know her name!  I must...or maybe I don't.  I know her smile as I pass by.  I know her greeting.  I know that when her husband died this fall, that I prayed for her and her family. 

My Supervisor
She has supported me and guided me.  She has become as much of a friend as she can; bringing us into the good life she enjoys of posh apartments, celebrity parties and clubs.

My Husband and His Family
I don't think I could have stayed in Egypt without their help---they have been that instrumental in our life.  They have brought us into the fold and allowed us into their hearts.  Where we live, the food we eat, and the company we keep is all about these people.

May Allah bless all the helpers in our life. 

Some we know are helping us and some are unknown to us. 

May we, in turn, become helpers for others who are trying to make their way in the world. 

May all of us journey through our lives for the pleasure of Allah.

8 comments:

Um Zakarya said...

Assalamu Aleykum dear sister,

I knew there was a husband somewhere :)

Mabruk you deserve happyness sister.I myself had an unexpected proposal by a brother who also wants to do Hijrah.SUBHNALLAH, sometimes things seem so easy and obvious.
Please make duas for me as I need to make an important decision here.

Lot of love to you and your family.

Yosra said...

Wa Alaykom Asalam Um Zakarya,

I gotta love careful readers like you :)

Yes, you guessed right and eventually we'll get to the who, where, what, when, why and how of the deal.

You have an exciting proposition on YOUR plate. I think the key is picking a man with whom you can build a life. Is he someone who needs what you have? Do you need what he has? Together are you a team to be reckoned with?

Pray istakarah and follow that easy path because not everything in life has to be difficult, right?

Duas coming your way!

Keep smiling and breathing!

Keep me/us posted as to what you decide to do!

My love right back at ya!

TwinCitiesLynn said...

Your writings and story keep me spellbound - when I saw "My Husband and His Family" I kept hitting 'refresh' thinking I had missed something. I cannot wait to hear (read) more. I am in awe of your strength and adventures - thank you so much for sharing and allowing me to be part of this journey

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Lynn,

What a great comment! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. It's such a big story that it's taking a long time to tell. As long as you don't mind, I'm going to keep going with it. LOL at you trying to make sense of "My Husband and His Family". Ya, that part is true. I'll get to it soon. I promise :) Thanks for not only reading but taking the time to comment. I love you for that :)

TwinCitiesLynn said...

I feel it is unfair that I know so much about you, yet you know nothing about me. I do not blog, but if you are on facebook I would gladly share my name (privately) so you can see who I am :)

The Muslim Wife's Kitchen said...

Salaam Alaikum Yosra!! I noticed the "husband" part too and felt such a sense of relief and so much happiness for you and your new family, may Allah keep your hearts happy and content with each other, ameen!

I stumbled upon your blog after going thru old bookmarks and almost fell over myself (um, while sitting down,lol) to see that you had started posting again. I spent that night catching up on all your posts and have eagerly been awaiting each new entry. I don't think I've ever commented here before but have always admired your strength and eagerness to do and be right in so many different circumstance. May Allah continue to guide us to what please Him, ameen! But I have to say, out of all the years of following your story, your posts about making hijrah have been amazing. I cant wait to hear about the rest! :)

Wasalaam,
Umm K

Shabana said...

oh wow, a husband! masha Allah, congratulations :-) looking forward to reading more!

Anonymous said...

» Anne Vyalitsyna Nude Profile » Anne Vyalitsyna Other Pictures. [url=http://www.hillrisefarms.com/1134368/celebrity-stolen-clips/]www.hillrisefarms.com[/url]