Friday, May 15, 2009

Embracing the Sufi



This website was a blessing to me in the middle of the night, when I needed the Nur of Islam. I realize that I don't agree with everything said in the Sufi experience. However, as always, I take the best and leave the rest. We can enjoy the juicy orange, but not eat the peel. See if there is something beneficial to you as well.
There was this profile of a Sheik on the site as well. It's all Sufi stuff, but still...I revere any leader who can call the azan, get jailed for doing it, then get released and when asked by lawyers to stop, says, “No I cannot. Spirituality must be spread.”

There are some great quotes from Sheik Nazim al-Haqqani, including this, "“When you meet a darwish, a faqir, a seeker in the way of God , begin with him with sincerity and loyalty and with lenience. Don’t begin with him with knowledge. Because knowledge might make him wild at the beginning, but leniency might bring him quickly to you.”


While looking for an image for the post, I happened upon this site which showcases a relatively new art form: sufi kathak dance. I took kathak dance way back before Islam when I was searching for a way to reconnect with life. The movements tell Indian stories of earthly love between man and woman. This is now a new twist in order to rise to the higher level of love of God.

Manjari Chaturvedi is the creator of this new fusion of Indian classical dance and Sufism. She is the beautiful, mashahallah, woman pictured above.

She says, "In Sufi Kathak, the concept of the beauty of the image-less Beloved becomes the guiding factor for me. The image becomes the act itself, the creative form. The state of love finds an image in the Beloved...the image acquires dimension...dimensions acquire reality. Human body outlives its form and the surrender becomes dance.'

You can view her dancing here. At night, when I dream, my dances look something like this.




2 comments:

rahma said...

Assalamu Alaikum,

One of my friends holds a dhikr here in Minnesota affiliated with the shadhiliyya tariqa - http://www.suficentermn.org

I can get you her email if you'd like

Brooke said...

Asalamu Walaikum Sis,
Wondering of you are interested in this:
http://sheerfluency.wordpress.com/2009/05/07/the-white-privilege-the-ummah-carnival-what-does-it-mean-to-you-them-and-us/
Love and Peace