Saturday, January 24, 2009

Slough



Main Entry:
1slough

Pronunciation:
\ˈslü, ˈslau; in the US (exc New England) ˈslü is usual for sense 1 with those to whom the sense is familiar; British usually ˈslau for both senses\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English sloughe, slo, from Old English slōh; akin to Middle High German slouche ditch
Date:
before 12th century
1 a: a place of deep mud or mire balso slew or slue \ˈslü\ (1):
swamp (2): an inlet on a river ; also : backwater (3): a creek in a marsh or tide flat2: a state of moral degradation or spiritual dejection
— sloughy
\-ē\ adjective



I'm not in a good place. I'm in a slough. I feel like I'm in the backwaters, yes. I feel like I'm in a state of spiritual dejection, yes.
I was in Slough, England once. It's a place.
I just looked it up on a map.
There. Sitting in the middle of the map was one word I didn't expect to see, "EGYPT".


Egypt?

In the UK? I have studied the UK and UK maps for decades. I had never heard of this.

Subhanallah. I am searching my heart for what to do. Did I just find the answer?

Read some poetry and see if you feel me.

Or, better yet...read some Quran.

The khotba today was on Prophet Musa's flight from Egypt. Should I take a flight to Egypt?

Subhanallah, now I'm looking for a photo for "backwaters" and every shot sends me to a place in the world that I once longed to travel to. Subhanallah. This is too much for me. I know these are all signs from God. I know.

I had better stop searching the internet and search my connection with Allah. I'll pray istakkarah, inshahallah.

No comments: