Sunday, January 4, 2009

Party Like a Muslim

I went to a party last night.

This was not supposed to happen.

It was supposed to be me at home and him out with his daughter.

However, we got the call and the invite, so we went too.

I didn't really have time to think. If I had thought about it, I might have gotten too apprehensive. I mean... Me? In hejab? At a hipsters party? With my kid?

But, I went. We went. We went as a post-modern family. It worked. Somehow. It works. I can't really explain what the deal is. Somethings you can't explain.

I felt comfortable with his friends. I felt welcomed.

When we left, I felt glad to be in the quiet of the ride home; safe in his big vehicle as the snow fell. He always waits for me to get in the front door. Always.

I heard later what his little daughter told him, while they waited for us to get in.

"MARRY HER!"

6 comments:

srtuba said...

Aww, cute kid!

Lisa said...

Oh Yosra, sounds like your happily ever after is not far off at all. And we're only 4 days into 2009!

egyptchick7 said...

Awwww....but i would still not JUMP into it sooo uber-quickly...Be engaged or whatever, not marriage soo quickly..I know what you are gonna say but please wait like 3 months maybe? I am really happpy for you, don't think i am not...but just wait a lil. Make sure you KNOW him. ( and not like your last 2 exes)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Sr Tuba,

Just back from watching the Vikings (lose).

So, I guess what I need to do to bring out the comments is to talk about my love life. Hmmmm...duly noted.

And his kid is super cute...reminds me of ME when I was little.

Asalamu Alaykom Lisa,

Wow. I am not thinking "Happily ever after." I am thinking, "Happily now."

Asalamu Alaykom EgyptChick,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. We will take as much time as we need. This is one reason why I have not been comfortable building a relationship with someone out of town OR out of the country. How do you really get to know them? YOU DON'T!

However, I do want to point out that X2 and I knew each other for a year before we marriage. X3 and I knew each other six months before we married.

It really has more to do with marrying for potential instead of reality; of thinking you can positively impact a person's life.

In this deal, I really don't want to change a man this time. I don't. Takes too much energy. I want to use more energy on myself and on my kids.

Thanks for all the great comments! Keep them coming!

egyptchick7 said...

Flight of the concords is so silly. LOL. Summer heights high is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

The question I have Yosra is, is he muslim?