Sunday, January 11, 2009

One Size Does Not Fit All


This is how I would look if I was Indian.
Most days? I wish I looked Indian.

Really hard day at work on Friday. It was the kind of day when you wonder if you'd be better just jumping on any train out of town.

Just when I thought I couldn't take one more crazy moment, I went into the staff room and discovered
FREE CLOTHES


You don't have to know me for long to find out that very few things make me happier than free anything, with the best perhaps being free Indian clothes. And there they were!

I brought them home, but was actually too tired to try them on yesterday. Today was the day! Are you imagining my excitement?

First shalwar khameez....wow! Arm length is good! Color is sooo great! I love all the details! And...dangnabbit! The bust is too small...shoot.

Second outfit....same.

Third outfit....same. Man! What a drag! I thought I had sized them up correctly.

I started to wonder how I could alter the ill-fitting tunic tops. I thought of all the work I'd have to put into it. Would the clothes just sit in my closet collecting dust? What was the point to holding onto something that someone else could love better?

I folded up the garments and put them back in the box. They were not for me. I hated admitting that but the truth is the truth.

I tried on the next outfit. It fit! It was sooo great! I was so happy at the fit actually. It was sooo beautiful in green with orange accents.

The next fit like a glove...like a gorgeous dark brown glove.

And I marveled at my pile of perfect clothes. I didn't need the ones that didn't fit. I thought I did, but truly they were not meant for me. They were literally made for someone different. As long as I kept trying to figure out how to make them work, I couldn't see how there were others that really were perfect.

Letting go.

Letting go of that which does not serve you.
I'm not that good at letting go.
I hope I get better, inshahallah.

5 comments:

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sis:

Beautiful post! Letting go of that which does not serve you ... I love it.

As for the Indian clothes, oh boy, I love them and they are so pretty. But what's up with those tops? Most of them are too tight fitting across the chest :(

Yosra said...

Wa alaykom Asalam Safiyyah,

Thanks for your kind words. Seriously, I'm hearing an echo echo echo in the void which is my comments section.

Oh well, as long as they are more constructive than in the past.

As for those tight tops? Ya, that's the style. The dupattas (the large scarves) are supposed to go over the tops to cover up. They are almost too much fabric to deal with. I really have to work hard to make those wrap.

One thing to remember: it isn't just the front that is tight! I've had to keep in mind my back and drape something there as well so my shape isn't given away as I turned around.

brookeakaummbadier said...

Allo, Allo, Allo... :)

Our Rewards Await Us said...

That Indian woman looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar....you know...Buffy the Vampire Slayer....only with dark hair...like she had in the movie Cruel Intentions.

Glad you finally found the right clothes to fit! :o)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Brooke,

Ya nut! LOL!

Asalamu Alaykom ORAU,

Haven't seen you in awhile! Hope life (and hubby) is treating you well.

And YES you are right about my Indian "friend". She does look like Michelle Gellar!