Wednesday, January 21, 2009

September 11 to January 20


I carried my little 13" portable TV to school today. The kids laughed at it.

"That is so 80s!"

"Come! Come here! Look at Sister Yosra's TV!"

Sigh. The sad thing is that it is our only TV. I had a bigger one but I couldn't carry it AND I was worried that it would fall over onto Mr. Boo.

Alhumudulillah, my little TV works. That's exactly what I told the kids.

I also told them in the morning message, "Inshahallah President-elect Obama will visit us today."

We sat down, as a class, and watched the inaguration. I am proud of how I taught them about this election, the voting process, about Dr. King's fight for Civil Rights, about Abraham Lincoln. Sometimes I worry if I am a good teacher and other times I know. Today I knew.

Afterschool, I had to carry it home again. That's when I saw it. My old name. I had written it on the top of the TV. I must have written it there when I had it sitting at my former business office.

Why did I have a TV at a business office? I'll tell you.

Every Friday would be a huge influx of new projects with immediate deadlines. If I wanted to keep my job, I had to endure the overestimating expectations of my co-workers. I served them. So, I ruined my children's Friday nights. I would pick them up from school, grab food, cart them back to my office and there they would sit. The TV was for them. What a time!

I forgot the little TV at the office one weekend. I had another TV at home, so it didn't matter that much. I thought about just leaving it at the office. That must be when I marked it. I kept it under my desk just in case.

Subhanallah, I never thought I would everturn it on during the day for everyone to huddle around and watch. I did though. We all needed to see what was happening in New York that Tuesday morning; September 11, 2001. We all stood in my office watching the second tower collapse. We watched in horror.

I immediately left my office for the hallway so I could privately call Mr. Boo's dad. He was driving taxi and I was scared for his safety. We had only known each other a few weeks.

If you had told me on that day that not even eight years later I would be a Muslim teacher watching the inaguration of a man with the middle name of, "Hussein," I would have been checking for fever on your forehead. It's incredible. It is.

That little TV has been my window on the world and shown me both the ultimate miseries of yesterday and the immense blessings of today.

May we never forget that everything comes from Allah. Alhumdulillah.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi Yosra,

Hope all is well. I loved this post. I'm excited to hear that your finding your happiness and that two nice guys are there with you during this journey. I could only dream of that :) Take care. Hugs!
Lisa/Yasmin

brookeakaummbadier said...

Masha Allah- I love the way you do THAT! It's like an intricately woven pattern--like Celtic knitting patterns or Berber wedding rugs.

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sis:

Alhamdulillah for the little TV! It has its own history :)