Saturday, January 3, 2009

First Time to the Masjid


I brought someone to the masjid for the first time. Between the two of us, I was the more nervous.


Alhumdulillah the azan was beautiful. It calmed me. I knew that Islam was in that moment. Either the person would feel it or the person would not. It was not up to me to fill them with the peace of Allah.

The khotba, or sermon, was mostly about the tragedy in Gaza. Subhanallah! 400 or more killed in the name of what?

After we reunited, I learned that my visitor had given money to the cause. It was money that would not have gone to Gaza except due to my invite to the masjid.

I gave money too---not to tell you, but because it wasn't my money. The money needed to flow through me to those in need. I am not in need like they are. Give to Islamic Relief if you feel the same.

We left before the protest against Israel's massacre in Palestine.

As we ate across the street, I heard about his perceptions of the masjid. There had been a LOT of unexplained Arabic. There wasn't a friendly greeting from anyone, which was a shame. However, the feeling of togetherness was there and the ability to get in touch with The Holy was there. He said hopefully it would not be our last time attending.

On the way back to the SUV, I bought a beautiful dress. Why? I don't know. The last beautiful dress I bought was the day I went to go see the lawyer for the divorce from AbuBoo. This was the same manufacturer; Sajeda, in Jordan. Love the style. $45 and away I went. It had gotten the thumbs up from my cohort.

"Where is your husband from?" asked the shopkeeper.

Internally, I had to do somersaults in my cerebral cortex. Quickly, I answered a lie.

"America."

"Oh, really," she answered. "You look maybe like Arab."

"It's the hejab," I laughed. "It makes all of us look a little Arab."

And evidentally, a little married.

2 comments:

rahma said...

If you're looking to bring someone to the masjid in the TC again, try Masjid an Nur. They have a greeting committee and a greeter posted by every door, so you're guaranteed a hearty Assalamu Alaikum. When I was new there, someone spotted me out and made sure they'd stop to chat with me.

If the khatib uses arabic, he'll usually explain it in english, and depending on who's giving the khutbah, he may also translate the duas in english as well.

Plus, more often then not, there's down home american cooking available afterwards.

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Rahma,

Thanks for the info. Maybe this masjid you suggest would be a better fit inshahallah.

I don't think either one of us minds the cultural aspects. It's just that it could be more embracing of Americans, English, and the culture of the U.S.