Friday, December 5, 2008

Iftar with Belly Dancers


I broke my fast last night at one of my favorite spots, Big Marina. I was ready to be out having fun.

I have not gone out for any kind of fun since...since I moved in actually. Is that right? During Thanksgiving weekend, I only left the apartment for a failed attempt to get the car title transfered at the DMV (which was closed).

So, Marina was a welcome change. I love the atmosphere of the huge termite mound, or whatever it is, in the middle sprouting water. I love the fake grapes hanging from the ceiling. It is better than if they were real---can you imagine?

But, of course, the FOOD is what I was there for. It's a buffet, which I love, in that the food is ready when you are. It is all good. I adore the eggplant.

I am an eggplant you know. If I could be any vegetable, I would be an eggplant. In Egyptian slang, to say you are eggplant or betingan lis to say you little crazy. I am. I am also beautiful, colorful and curvy. I don't go with every dish. You will find me in many delcious ethnic dishes: eousaka, eggplant Parmesan, ratatouille, and many more. You won't usually find me on American plates. Most people here don't know what to do with me. With the wrong person, I am allowed to rot in the veggie bin.

The thing about Marina that night was that the music videos were getting to me. I had just broken my fast and I was there watching half-naked media sex slaves shake their bon bons. It was too much.

I got up and asked the hostess if she could please change the channel. Couldn't we see Hajj instead? They appologized, found the remote, and then found some Quran.

Alhumdulillah.

You know? I am happy with what happened today: the fasting, going out, eating delicious food, and in standing up for what I believe.

Alhumdulillah.

No comments: