Monday, December 1, 2008

Fasting in First Days of Hajj


I'm eating now, but in minutes I'll be starting another fast. No, it's not Ramadan. Muslims fast other times of the year too, ya know.

Didn't you know that?

Oh, actually, I didn't know that either when I signed up.

But I'm cool with it.

There is so much gluttony, so much wanton disregard for what brings us closer to God, that it is wise to step back from it all periodically. It's good to, "get a grip." I have felt like I've been loosing mine.

Also, for Muslim women, we have to make up the days we missed. When we were menstruating during Ramadan, we weren't allowed to fast. We have to make those days up before the next Ramadan. As for me, I'm still toting around about 70 days from when I was pregnant or nursing. Little by little, I'll make those up, inshahallah. I could pay the poor in exchange for missing those days, but I don't have the money.

Besides, I like fasting. It re-focuses me. I felt that yesterday.
It is Sunnah, or living like Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. I keep thinking that I'll master that some year, but as of yet, have not.

Fasting in the first nine days of the Muslim month of Hajj brings extra reward from Allah. If you join your fast with prayers, then you will inshahallah see a positive change in your life.

I'm hoping for that.

The fast right now is super easy. 6:00 AM to around 4:30 PM. If you have not fasted before and are nervous about giving it a go, this would be the ideal timing to experience. Get up at 5:00 AM. Eat and drink at 5:30 AM. Brush teeth right before 6:00 AM. Go the day without putting anything else into your body (including cigarettes, gum, medicine), and without any sexually exciting activity. Pray around 6:00 AM, 12:30 PM, and 2:30. At 4:00 PM, get the food ready. Break the fast after 4:30 PM and pray. Pray again around 6:00 PM. Remember that doing all the prayers is necessary for a fast to be accepted.
For exact timings, go to www.islamicfinder.org.


May Allah accept the fasting, the prayers, and the Hajj for those whose hearts are filled with good intentions.

No comments: