Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ramadan 9: Words

Words have power.

As it says in The Quran:

Art thou not aware how God sets forth the parable of a good word?
[It is] like a good tree, firmly rooted, [reaching out]
with its branches towards the sky,
yielding its fruit at all times by its Sustainer's leave.
And [thus it is that] God propounds parables unto men,
so that they might bethink themselves [of the truth].
And the parable of a corrupt word is that of a corrupt tree,
torn up [from its roots] onto the face of the earth,
wholly unable to endure.
[Thus,] God grants firmness unto those who have attained to faith
through the word that is unshakably true in the life of this world
as well as in the life to come;
but the wrongdoers He lets go astray;
for God does whatever He wills.
~Surah Ibrahim/Abraham 24-27
Mohammad Asad Translation


This site got me so engrossed in the power of words. They made fascinating word clouds on http://www.wordle.net/ of every speech from both the Republicans and the Democrats.

I then got on a roll.

Here is this blog:




Click on any of the images to see them larger on the site.


Here is my old blog:





This is the whole Quran in Arabic:


Beautiful, isn't it? God bless the brother who did that one and the next.


It is an equally awesome word cloud for Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation of The Quran:



I thought to create the next. This is shahadah, the Muslim testimony of faith in both transliterated Arabic and in English:



I couldn't figure out how to include the Arabic in the above word cloud. That would have been ideal. If you can figure it out, be my guest. Here are the three ways of writing the shaddah:

أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Ashhadu Alla Ilaha Illa Allah

Wa Ashhadu Anna Muhammad Rasulu Allah


I testify that there is no god except for God

and Muhammad is the messenger of God


Here are the Arabic words of the shahadah:


Today marks six years since I took my shahadah. Alhumdulillah. I never thought I'd ever experience all that I have. Subhanallah! It's like my life is bigger, badder, better all at the same time. I would never ever change a thing.


أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله


Those words are so powerful. Mashahallah.

Ashhadu Alla Ilaha Illa Allah
Wa Ashhadu Anna Muhammad Rasulu Allah

They began my journey as a Muslim. Alhumdulillah.

I testify there is no other god than God

and Muhammed is a Messenger of God.


Thank you for being a part of it.


1 comment:

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom to Whomever Clicked on this Entry,

When you clicked, it made me look too. I re-read the Quranic passage at the beginning. Subhanallah! It touches me as deeply as ever.

I have been saying today that I can't build my life on a shaky foundation (an unstable work environment). The reason for the shaky feeling are words which are either not said or mispoken---or even private words which get spread. Astragferallh.

Here EXACTLY the message is that, "God grants firmness unto those who have attained to faith
through the word that is unshakably true in the life of this world as well as in the life to come." Wallahi, that helps me.

I hope this helps you too.