Saturday, September 27, 2008

Ramadan 27: Gratitude


We take so much for granted.

One day, long ago, before my reversion to Islam, I thought about the world differently, after playing Donkey Kong. Yes, inspiration comes from the most unlikely of places. Donkey Kong had just come out with a new version that had better graphics. It was so cool! Very 3D in its feel! I had thought, while playing, that it sure was an awesome little world that had been created.

Later, when I was on a walk with my kids, I thought in my mind, "What if I looked at the world like it was designed as a virtual reality video game?"

All of a sudden the world opened up to me as never before. I saw the world as this amazing creation. Sure, it's easy to see a beautiful butterfly and think that. But, I was seeing the attention to detail in tree bark and in the way the light turned into shadow coming through the leaves on the tree. It was like I was on drugs...I think...as my perceptions were all heightened in that moment. I perceived the Glory of God in the world around me.
Look at this flower in the photograph. While the artwork at the beginning of this posting was very nice, it cannot compare in the least to this flower.
Subhanallah!

It's one thing to enjoy all the world has to offer rather than to enjoy all God has to offer. For sure, there are many atheists who could take a walk around the lake and be pleased with what they see. For a believer in The Creator, all that visual pleasure, and all that satiates our senses, brings us to the conclusion that God is the Greatest! Allahu akbar! Feeling the Power of God is even better than feeling the power of the sun or the wind, or feeling the tug at your heart when you see a mama duck with her babies.
And everything, everything, everything comes from Allah. See it, feel it, acknowledge it AND then be thankful for it. It's the last part which often gets forgotten. We forget to keep remembrance of Allah.

"What a great day!"

"Sure is!"

And cut! Scene over!

Is that a conversation between two Muslims? Could be! Don't know. Did they remember Allah?

No. Should they? Well, they really could so easily.

Take two!

"Subhanallah! What a great day!"

Today, it is a great day for you. I don't know what the weather is like where you are. I don't know where you are going to go, or what you're going to see. What I do know is that the presence of God will surround you at every nanosecond. Certainly, God doesn't need our thanks but we do certainly, need to thank God.


"Sure is spectacular weather! Alhumdulillah!


And cut! It's a wrap!

2 comments:

egyptchick7 said...

This post reiterates how I have been unable to believe in atheism for so long. I have always said, how can there be no god when there is soo much beauty in the world, especially from nature. I, as a science major, do also believe in evolution, however, nature is way too perfect to not to believe in Allah.

Bosnian hijab girl said...

Selam for you Yosra!!!