Saturday, September 27, 2008

Memorizing Quran


Tonight I've been doing something I haven't done in a long time.
I've been memorizing Quran.


I saw surah 103 Al-Asr and it just hit me as especially beautiful tonight.


103 Time and Age Al-'Asr: Makki

In the name of Allah, most benevolent, ever-merciful.


TIME AND AGE are witness

2. Man is certainly loss,

3. Except those who believe, and do good and enjoin truth on one another, and enjoin one another to bear with fortitude (the trials that befall).

I got my transliterated text in front of me, which you can get from

http://www.transliteration.org/quran/home.htm


103) Sūrat Al-`Aşr

Wa Al-`Aşri
'Inna Al-'Insāna Lafī Khusrin

'Illā Al-Ladhīna 'Āmanū Wa `Amilū Aş-Şāliĥāti Wa Tawāşaw Bil-Ĥaqqi Wa Tawāşaw Biş-Şabri


Then, I put the recorded recitation on loop and spent about a half an hour saying it again and again.


You can find reciters all over the internet. Here's one site:




I lift my pinky finger on my right hand while saying the first line, the my right hand's ring finger for the seond finger, and so on. This surah only has three lines. Connecting with your body as you learn helps it stick in your memory.


I only stopped once I could say the surah at the same rate of speed as the reciter without looking at the screen.


This is one way to memorize. Inshahallah, you will find a way to learn more before Ramadan is done.

1 comment:

Adventurous Ammena said...

masha'allah, well done sis.. Ive been stuck learning surah al-takathur this month.. I learnt the english, then 6 verses out of the 8.. now because i didnt go back to it, I think i forgot it.. plus had a freak out yesterday at forgetting the first line to surah al-fil lol :) alhamdulillah. Insha'allah i will get it learnt before the month is over though. I pray that you learn more of this amazing book that was sent down to us as a guidance to mankind