Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Ramadan Shopping List

Asalamu Alaykom,

This originally appeared in 2008.  I've edited it a little and reposted it in hopes that it will be helpful.



Did you buy your dates?

If you have small children, buy the pitted ones to be safe. Breaking your fast with dates is sunnah. The sugar in dates is what gave Mary (ra), mother of Isa/Jesus (pbuh) the energy to go through her labor alone. It is a wonderful food from Allah Subhana Wa Tala.

I also recommend buying a thick fruit juice like the apricot, mango or guava. All of these are thirst-quenchers of the highest degree.

Also on your shopping list should be foods for the suhour, or morning meal:

A fiber-rich cereal like Bran Flakes, Cream of Wheat (high in iron), oatmeal, or Quaker's Oatmeal Squares.  Oatmeal can be sprinkled over any of the other cereals to give it extra nutrition.

Whole wheat or rye bread. Do NOT be eating white bread to start your day.

Eggs which you can hard boil the day before or scramble up quickly.

Beans like Foul Medamnes; fava beans or Hummus; chick peas--these stay with you until around 3 PM

Olive oil

Cheese but be careful it isn't too strong as the taste would stay with you all day

Fresh fruit like bananas, apples, melon, or other fibrous fruit.  Great to make a smoothie with fresh fruit, yogurt, water and some powdered juice mix.  I sprinkle oatmeal in my smoothies too!

Tea



Yogurt--make sure it doesn't contain gelatin

Vegetables like cucumber and tomato you can eat diced up with plain yogurt or in soft cheese



For your iftar dinner, you'll want something nutrious.  Even if you love fast-food or the easiness of processed/packaged food, you will not want it during Ramadan.  Find ways to cook natural foods in simple ways. 
Vegetable Soup,
Squash Soup,
Orzo Soup
Rice and Lentils,
Peas and Carrots with Potatoes
Bread with Tahini
Mashed potatoes
Salad
Spinach pie
Stuffed vegetables
Beef or lamb stew
Roasted Chicken
Fish
Fresh fruit compote
Yogurt (again)
Jello---only bought at a halal market as all other Jello has pork gelatin

There is a du'a for repetance which we all could benefit from stating again and again. Remember, that we need to ask for forgiveness from Allah for those deeds we KNOW we committed and those we do NOT KNOW we committed.

Keep in mind that these food items should NOT be your focus. The real focus is on strengthening our relationship with Allah. So, while it's good to be prepared with food in your cupboard it's more important to be prepared with kareem in your heart.

From http://www.islamonline.net/ :

The best dua for seeking repentance as explicitly stated in authentic traditions is called sayyid al-istighfaar; here it is:



Allaahumma anta rabbee laa ilaaha


illaa anta khalaqtanee wa ana


`abduka wa ana `alaa `ahdika wa wa`dika


ma ista`tu a`oodhu bika min sharri


maa sana`tu aboo'u laka bi ni`matika `alayya


wa aboo'u bi dhanbee fa ighfir lee f


a innahu laa yaghfiru al-dhunooba illaa anta






(O Allah, You are my Lord;


there is no God but You;


You created me and I am Your servant;


I stand by my covenant and promise


with You to the best of my ability.


I seek refuge in You from the evils of my own actions;


I acknowledge Your favors upon me;


I confess my sins to You;


so forgive me, for no one can forgive sins except You.)

After having read this, you may read any other duas.

10 comments:

UmmZakirah said...

Sister, with all due respect, the moon has not been sighted yet, therefore, we can't know for "certain" which day Ramadan will start. We can assume it will start on Monday, but we can not say this for SURE. There is a very specific hadith of Prophet Muhammad, sa'allahu aleyhi wa salaam, that states the moon must be sighted. Therefore, in any Islamic country if the moon is sighted, then we can follow them.
Many Sheiks have said that this form of "estimating" the arrival of Ramadan is not correct, and we must wait to hear until the actual moon is sighted. Please click on this following link to read the reasons why this is the correct method: http://amjaonline.com/en_d_details.php?id=104
It is from 2006 so don't pay attention to the dates, just pay attention to the Reasons why, if you scroll down on the page.
Every masjid in MN follows this view, except for one I believe, that is in Eden Prairie.
Well, just wanted to point that out, u can follow it if you want or don't want. Regardless, it probably will start on Monday, but if not, these are the reasons. Let's all unite as one ummah this year instead of trying to be separate.
You can also find prayer locations for Eid in MN at the following link:
http://www.mnia.org
May Allah bless and reward you sister Yosra for your time and effort, and the foods you mentioned sound really good!
UmmZakirah

UmmZakirah said...

By the way, you quoted Islamonline as saying that Eid Al Fitr will be on a specific date, but sister come on, Only Allah knows which day Eid will be on.... no one can "predict" what day it will be on without sighting the moon. Inshallah I hope u will change your source. May Allah bless and reward you.

Yosra said...

Asalamalaykom UmmZakirah,

Thanks for your input. It's sound reasoning. I won't dispute. I'll add it here and everyone can collect the information for the best way to worship Allah.

The moon sighting, inshahallah, will be agreed upon this year and our ummah can join together as one.

sister in MN said...

Assalamu Alaikum,
It has been announced, here in MN, that Ramadhan will start on Monday. The possiblities were either tomorrow (Sunday) or the day after (Monday). The reason for this is because the lunar months can only be 29 or 30 days, and today is the 29th of Sha3ban. So if Ramadhan is not tomorrow, it can only be the day after. And Ramadhan is not tomorrow, because there have been no credible sightings yet. Saudia Arabia has announced that it will be Monday, so we will follow.
Jazaki Allahu Khair Sr. Yosra for announcing the beginning of Ramadhan!
I used to be a proponent of using the astronomical calculations to project the dates of Ramadhan start and Eid, but after watching a lot of slip ups, I have changed my mind. I agree with the scholars who say that we can use astronomical calculations to eliminate possibilities, but not to positively affirm them. This means that if it is astronomically impossible to see the moon, and someone claims that they did, they might have seen something else. But as long as it's possible to be seen, if there are credible sightations, then they should be believed.
This is what I know about the matter, but I do acknowledge that there is a lot of controversy around the matter, so I respect the scholars' different opinions.
By the way, I heard this will be the first time in a long time that the entire Muslim Ummah unites on the beginning date of Ramadhan...beautiful mashaAllah!

dramamama said...

Salam, sis. Ramadan Kareem to you and all. We start fasting on Monday insha Allah too, in my part of the world.

Anonymous said...

AA - Thank you for the entry. I very much disagree with juice, as the very, very high sugar will cause blood sugar levels to peak, and thereafter will be a period of the sugar crash. Foods as you mentioned, like those high in fiber, are the converse of this and much better, with gradual rises and falls in blood sugar level. Juice is one of the bigger mistakes to consume for suhoor especially -- near the fast breaking time makes sense to re-start the metabolism but beyond that, again, risks causing more hunger/thirst/harm than good. Wallaho3lim.

egyptchick7 said...

These comments left me with a big "huh"?? Bc Ramadan supposedly starts FRIDAY not MONDAY...but then I saw the dates of these comments from 2008!!! Oh how I wish I would be breaking fast during the Ramadan of 2008- Much easier than this year omg!! I guess this post is a repeat post bc of the repeat comments...

ANYWAYS...Ramadan Kareem early to you and Mr. Boo and Gozik :)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Anonymous,

I really appreciate your input. I try my best but I need everyone to search for ways to make it better.

I hear what you're saying about juice. For you, the sugar high and subsequient low are too much. For me? I really need a juice. Maybe it's worth exploring person to person. Also, the amount of processed sugar (suctose) in the juice versus a more natural (fructose) would mean a difference in sudden absorption or gradual.

I'm blessed with having so many fresh fruits here in Egypt. Alhumdulillah. We'll be having fresh mango juice before too long inshahallah :)

May Allah accept your prayers and fasting.

Please continue to comment because you have important things to say :)

Yosra said...

Asalamu Alaykom Egypt Chick,

OOPS! I should have put an explanation at the beginning. I since have. Sorry to confuse you.

Best wishes to you this Ramadan! Thanks for your well wishes for my family. They are appreciated :)

MarieHarmony said...

I was confused too.......but it's all clear.
Wishing you and your family a Blessed Ramadan Yosra. Thought I won't fast this year (as I did last year with my husband) I will be happy to read your thoughts and articles.
Stay well dear and have a beautiful day.