Friday, July 4, 2008

Wrighting My Life

I was musing over jobs, crafts, the arts, and wrighting.

Read this quote today: Simone de Beauvoir - "To catch a husband is an art; to hold him is a job."

Anyone can have a job. It isn't really a calling, or a career, is it? I can get a job at Wendy's, for instance, but I can't really say that it's my path.

Mr. Boo, by the way, calls Wendy's, "Hi, Baby!" for the smiling chick with the red braids.

A craft is like a skill. A craftsperson can whip out the same item again and again. I don't like crafts, to tell you the truth. The junk of life is made of such.

An artist is a creator of something unique and special. It is somehow in conjunction with, or in relation to The Creator. Either you are trying to imitate or out do. It often becomes pretensious or supersilious.

A person who is a wright is one that constructs or repairs something. It is a functional and necessary item being worked on. The word is often used in combination: a playwright, a shipwright, cartwright, wheelwright, or ploughwright. Funny that Wilbur and Orville Wright constructed the first plane, and that Frank Lloyd Wright was an architect.

I am a wright. I thought I was only a playwright, and that was a great thing to be. Now, I realize that I'm a lifewright. I am truly constructing my life.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Frank Lloyd Wright spent his most of his life in Southwestern Wisconsin, in and near Madison. There is a sign on the way to the Madison airport saying that the new airport is dedicated to the Wrights: Wilbur, Orville, and Frank Lloyd. It's always fun to see.