Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Readying for Ramadan: Believe












 







This is it. The preparation for Ramadan is nearing the end. You and I and one billion other people are focusing on the impending month of fasting and praying. It is a daunting task. Just because we all do it, doesn't make it easy. It ain't easy!

No.

It's not supposed to be easy.

Right now that thought of hardship is enlivening me with a renewed sense of purpose and a drive towards excellence. This blog is named, "After Hardship There is Ease," but that doesn't mean that I reach the ease and then sink down onto the comfy couch for the rest of my life.

Life is cyclical. We see that in every part of nature. As for Surah 94, the reminder about hardship and ease is repeated to show that pattern: hardship then ease, hardship then ease. Ramadan is coming around once more and with it comes the difficulties.

Why do it?

Why?

There has to be one over-riding reason:
Allah. You ABSOLUTELY have to believe in Allah in order to participate in Ramadan. I have loved people so dearly in this life, but I have never loved anyone enough to endure early morning force-feedings, parched mouth by the afternoon, and zombie zone-outs by the evening. I fast only for Allah.
Check yourself. Why are you fasting? Are you trying to prove something to someone? Is this to gain acceptance from a person? Guess what! Your fast won't work! You must only fast for
Allah's pleasure.


اللَّهُمَّ اِنِّى لَكَ صُمْتُ وَبِكَ امنْتُ [وَعَلَيْكَ تَوَكَّلْتُ] وَعَلَى رِزْقِكَ اَفْطَرْتُ



Allahumma inni laka sumtu wa bika aamantu [wa 'alayka tawakkaltu]
wa 'ala rizq-ika aftarthu
O Allah! I fasted for You and I believe in You [and I put my trust in You]
and I break my fast with Your sustenance


I fasted for You.

For whom?


I believe in You.

In whom?


I put my trust in You.

In whom?

And I break my fast with Your sustenance.

Whose sustenance?

May all of us center ourselves in these last days; take a deep breath and center. May we treat this Ramadan like it is our last; there is no guarantee that there will ever be another. May the ummah increase our iman. May each one of us make a conscious decision to do our part.
May we believe that all of this hardship will be worth our efforts.
May we believe that Allah sees us and hears us.
May each one of us believe that we can make a difference in our life, in the lives of those around us, and in our world.

Ameen.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ameen

Safa said...

ameen!
ameen!
ameen!
ameen!

John & Anthea Mullis said...

Wow - it's been a big week of preparation for me. Lots of stimulation from your input and lots to blog about. All very challenging.

Sara said...

Ameen Ya Rab...

dramamama said...

AMEEEN!

Mona Um Ibrahim said...

Assalamu Alaikum. I pray you have a blessed Ramadan. MashaAllah your new blog is beautiful and beneficial. I have linked it. May Allah accept our good deeds.