Monday, January 8, 2007

Gettting to Know You


1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?

Detached in love from a man I will divorce, even though I never, ever wanted to divorce him.

2. Did you keep your New Year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I always make resolutions and I always fall short of the mark, but feel good for doing my best anyway.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

My good friend, an Egyptian, gave birth, alhumdullah, to a girl. She had a VBAC and I had really encouraged her to do so. Her doctor had scheduled a c-section and I advised against and alhumdulillah she was able to deliever naturally!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Not that I know of. On second thought, yes: my cousin Borghild.

5. What countries did you visit?

None, but I feel like I've been living in Egypt.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?

A room of one's own.

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

There's so many: June 6th (I asked for a divorce the first time)

The baby's first birthday (and how miserably it was ruined by his daddy).

The 5th anniversary of when we met (that ended with him neglecting me)

Thanksgiving (as I was so very alone and spent the whole day waiting for his plane to land and our marriage to end).

November 27th (I later found out that's when he took off his wedding ring en route to see her--never to be worn again, and thus the day our marriage ended). And I just realized, from searching for that date in my archives, that is the last time I heard him talk to me like he loved me.

December 10th (when he returned and I threw him and his perfumed love note out).

December 11th (the night we met with the sheik and I asked for the divorce).

December 22 (when I moved out).

December 28 (when we signed over the house).

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Finally, creating a beautiful home, and then selling it, then moving. It's kind of three things, but they are intricately linked together.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Becoming a hateful and spiteful woman scorned, when my husband returned home, but not to me.

10. What was the best thing you bought?

My azan clock

11. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My babyboo is the love of my life and cheers me up so much with his winsome ways.

12. Where did most of your money go?

Astragferallah, to interest on his business loans.

13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

I've learned not to get that excited any more. It leads to manic depression. But, I did get excited about all of baby's developmental milestones.

And the couch.

14. What song will always remind you of 2006?

Coldplay's Fix You

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder?

Sadder, but at least I know where I am and can find my own deeper level happiness from here

b) thinner or fatter?

thinner, but ask me again after I eat this bakery treat

c) richer or poorer?

Seemingly poorer, but without the debt attached, so actually richer

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Focusing on me and the kids.

17. How did you spend Eid?

Feeling guilty that I didn't want to celebrate.

19. What was your favorite TV program?

Dr. Phil, for most of the year, but it switched to Sex in the City towards the end.

20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

Hate is too important emotion to waste on somebody I don't even like.

21. What was the best book you read?

Runaway Bunny

22. What was your greatest musical discovery?

That listening to Quran is better than listening to music.

23. What did you want and get?

Resolution to endless suffering.

24. What did you want and not get?

My husband to love me enough.

25. What was your favorite film of this year?

Veer Zara, a Bollywood movie about a Hinustani man and Pakistani woman.

26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

Whatever it was, I know I was dissapointed. I'll have to check the blog to remember.Oh, I didn't blog about it. I only blogged about my birthday wishes. I was 38.

27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?

Modern Modest

28. What kept you sane?

Who said I'm sane?!

29. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Hosni Mubarak.Honestly, I still fancied my husband for most of the year. He just didn't want me back.

30. Who did you miss?

My old locker buddy, whom I named my son after. I finally got back in touch with him and I feel some peace to know he's OK. In highschool, he was like the brother I always wanted.

31. Who was the best new person you met?

Safa and Peaceful Muslimah tie

32. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.

Let go before it is ripped from you.

33. What political issue irked you the most?Are there political issues? I was just happy that Keith Ellison won.

No comments: